Of course you want to keep your trailer securely locked to your vehicle — but what about securing your uncoupled trailer at home? Reese’s universal coupler lock fits into the ball socket on your trailer tongue, and locking it prevents the trailer from getting hitched to a vehicle.

Constructed from cast steel, the coupler lock incorporates an advanced locking mechanism that resists picking and prying.

Reese coats the locking bar with zinc to resist corrosion, but there’s no mention what that yellow coating on the body is. Six locking positions and an undersized ball allow the universal coupler lock to work with couplers for 1-7/8″, 2″, and 2-5/16″ balls.

If you look closely you’ll notice the Smith & Wesson branding on the side. Smith & Wesson puts their name on a lot of different products, but I can’t find any reference to this coupler lock on their site.

Regardless of the branding, the universal coupler lock will run you about $20.

Universal Coupler Lock [Reese]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon
[What’s This?]

9 Responses to Curb Trailer Theft

1. Rick says:

These locks are a good idea… but nothing would stop a determined thief! I just use a cheaper version… take an old ball hitch, cut off the threaded part of the shank, so you just have the ball. Put that up into the trailer tongue, latch it, and use your favorite trailer lock. Simple and cheaper!

2. Bill says:

We used a similar device, but as Rick pointed out that doesn’t stop a determined thief. The thieves simply hooked up to the safety chains and dragged the trailer and vehicle off.

3. Eli says:

There’s two other workarounds as well. U bolt a second hitch to the ‘locked’ one and use it, or cut the locked one off and install a new hitch. Locks stop the honest (or at least the lazy)

4. Toolaremia says:

I skip the hitch lock and go to a more extreme level:

I bought some of that bright orange high-tensile strength chain. I run it through a wheel over the spring, around the suspension link, through the other spring, and come out the other wheel. Then I lock the chain with a #5 Master. Neither the chain nor lock can be cut with even huge bolt cutters. The chain is short enough the couldn’t put on new wheels and throw the locked wheels on the trailer bed. They could still drag the trailer, but not far and it will attract attention.

But I do like the additional idea of putting an old cut-off ball in the hitch. It’s all about time, and that would slow the crooks down a little bit more.

5. KMR says:

Our shop car hauling trailer has a wheel lock/clamp on either side. Same type of devise the police use to clamp your wheels for illegal parking, etc.

6. Brau says:

I can’t see this product as being effective. I do the same as Rick, but realize that unless I clamp the wheels, a determined thief will just drag it away using chains.

7. Geoff K. says:

Locks just keep honest people honest. If someone is serious enough to thwart a gizmo such as this, then they’re “less than honest” to begin with, and will likely figure out some other way to get what it is they want. A lock on a door keeps someone from wandering into the space in a similar manner. This reduces the “crime of opportunity” chances, that’s all. And often, that’s enough. If there’s something significantly valuable to the owner (the contents or the trailer itself), then stronger means of protecting it should be employed as mentioned above, all of which are good solutions.

8. tmib_seattle says:

It seems like a wheel clamp might be a more effective option.

9. Eric says:

I have one of these locks, they’re not terribly secure, you can shim the catch with little more than a piece of aluminum can, or thin strap steel (depending on how beat up the catch spring on it is). I agree that the lock will really only protect you from the honest or the lazy, but a lot of times that’s all you need. Further, at least where I’m located, attempting to make your stuff secure makes a huge difference if it is ever stolen and you need to make an insurance claim.