GasWatch Propane Level Indicator

Connect GasWatch’s TLV 212 propane-level indicator between your propane tank and your grill’s regulator and you’ll never have to wonder, “Do I have enough gas for the party?”  And it’s not just for your grill — it’ll work on all outdoor propane-burning equipment with a QCC Type I connection. In other words, if you can hook your 20lb propane tank to it, you can use the gauge.

With this UL-listed tool you can safely monitor tanks up to 40lbs by referencing the easy-to-read colored dial. GasWatch also incorporates a leak detector and emergency flow limiter into their product.

Sick of weighing my tank before big events to make sure I had enough gas, I bought one of these gauges after I purchased my new grill. You detect leaks by watching if the gauge drops when you shut off the tank. Luckily the opportunity hasn’t arisen to watch the emergency flow limiter in action, but otherwise it seems to indicate the propane level correctly.

You can pick up the GasWatch Model 212 for $20.

Propane Gauge
[GasWatch]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon(B000S5S3M4) [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Running On Empty

1. BJN says:

I don’t know how accurate these are, but I guess I’m set up to find out. The collar on my transluscent Lite Cylinder interferes with connectors that have regulators attached. I don’t need a gauge, but it works as an extension.

I have my doubts about the accuracy of the gauge. Pressure in a cylinder is affected by temperature and even without that effect, I suspect the pressure in the tank is fairly constant until the cylinder gets close to empty. That impression is reinforced by the big green range on the indicator and the tiny yellow and red zones. If the gauge doesn’t move much until you’re almost out of gas, it’s not very useful.

2. Asbestos says:

I had a cylinder with a gauge in it. But it had a mechanical float, not a pressure gauge. I think BJN is right on this one. I don;t worry about the gas level, I have 2 tanks

3. jim says:

I’m with those guys – as long as there is liquid in the tank the pressure won’t really indicate level – only when the liquid is gone and the gas pressure then starts to drop.

4. Geoff K. says:

Has anyone used those magnetic thermal strips? They stick to the tank, top to bottom, and hot water is poured over the strip. The strip changes color, and the level of the liquid fuel remaining and below changes back more quickly, showing the actual fuel level remaining in the tank. I’ve never used this type, but if it can show actual physical fuel level, that’s as good as a mechanical float, and should work on any tank.

5. Chris Ball says:

I have a self adhesive thermal strip on a couple of my tanks and they seem to work well, except that you need a fair bit of hot water before it shows the level, more than a cup less than a pitcher…

I almost never bother with it though because I have a couple tanks.

6. Wayne D. says:

I have one of these, and it works pretty well. It already paid for itself after about 3 tanks. The little dot on the sides of the tanks seem to fail in the summer here in Arizona, so I bought one. I thought I had an empty tank, but after I put it in I had 3/4 left. You can tell you need to get a tank when it starts to edge into the level because the pressure starts to noticeably drop after that. You got a couple short grill sessions at that point.

7. Captain Obvious says:

The adhesive strips can be considered single-use, if the place you get your propane at takes your tanks and gives you others ( that are full ).

These guages you can keep in your posession.

And if they *show* you when you’re running out, then they’re worth it.

( propane fridge, here )

8. J Ruiz says:

I also have one of these, and I have been using it for about a year now. I’d say that I am not sure how accurate it is, but I think it serves its purpose very well, it tells you when your tank it’s almost empty and you can kind of measure from there how many more times you can grill until empty. For 20 bucks I think it is a good investment.