DustPan-450.jpg

Occasionally, *rarely*, Toolmongers use tools for other than their intended purpose; this coal shovel — or square point shovel, whatever — is a great example. I bought it because I needed a sturdy tool, but I seldom use it for big tough jobs. Instead, I use it all the time as a dustpan.

It works great; I make a huge mess, grab a broom and the shovel, scoop and dump — problem solved. It’s faster than a wet/dry vac for big messes, and it’s multi-talented compared to the fancy-schmancy lobby dustpans. Sure, it costs more, but what good is a lobby dustpan when you need to move a ton of landscaping rock?

The shovel pictured above is the 9-3/4″ wide Jackson Professional #2 Pony Square Point which streets for $40-50, but there are lots of options available.

#2 Pony Square Point Shovel [Jackson Professional] (PDF page 2, A)
Jackson Professional Street Pricing [Google Products]
Square Point Shovel Street Pricing [Google Products]

9 Responses to Toolmonger Dust Pan

1. kg2v says:

I use an aluminum snow shovel for picking up in the shop

2. FredB says:

For years I used an old coal shovel as a snow shovel. I’ll need a new snow shovel for this winter. Maybe I’ll try another coal shovel.

3. BC says:

kg2v, an aluminum grain scoop is my tool of choice for that.

I just used my square point shovel to excavate a bit around a fence gate I installed over the weekend.

4. Tim B. says:

Amen on the snow shovel @ kg2v… I’ve had my trusty aluminum dustpan (errr.. snow shovel!) and used it for that, literally, HUNDREDS of times more than for its intended purpose….. (Seattle really doesn’t get that much snow!)

5. Davo says:

I use an old shovel head like that as a dustpan, too.

Without the handle, it’s a perfect heavy duty dustpan.

6. jimmy says:

$50 is an expensive dust pan!!! I think I’ll just keep sweeping out into my driveway under my wifes truck.

7. DJMoore says:

If you have actual piles, a good shovel is great.

But if you can still push your dirt around with a broom, try the McClane Dustpan, which has a huge bucket and a standup handle. No stooping. (Mine is actually the “Harry from Hawaii” original.)

8. Maureen says:

DJMoore, does your McClane Dustpan every dump some of the dust when you go to dump it into the garbage, or does it swivel around like those restaurant ones, become vertical, and keep the dust in it like a basket?

My problem is that I’m using a regular vacuum to vacuum my dust in my woodshop, and I constantly have to pick up larger pieces to avoid breaking the thing. I’d love to be able to chuck the larger pieces in the same pile as the dust.

9. DJMoore says:

Maureen, I’m a clumsy idiot who can manage to dump a load of dust onto the floor from just about any dustpan that’s ever been invented, including the swivel-bucket “hotel lobby” dustpan I keep for the kitchen, so I can’t really give a good assessment of that.

The McClane has a fixed bucket; it’s meant for medium to heavy duty use, and holds about a cubic foot. The mouth is big enough that it should be emptied into something like a 30-gal trash barrel, not a standard 13-gal tall kitchen wastebasket.