Bench Vise

I stumbled across this deal at Sportsman’s Guide — strange place to buy a vise, I know. You can get this KR Tools 3-1/2″ cast iron bench vise for $5 when you apply the code “SH638” at checkout. Rated at 8,000 PSI, the vise features replaceable steel jaws, dual-locking 360-degree swivel base, chrome-plated handle, and a striking anvil on the top. It weighs about ten pounds, which makes shipping about $5 to most locations.

Bench Vise [Sportsman’s Guide]
KR Tools [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

15 Responses to Dealmonger: KR Tools 3-1/2″ Bench Vise $5

1. Vody says:

Argh! Already sold out!

2. Chris says:

This looks almost exactly like the old Craftsman vise that I broke about two months ago while pressing a rivet out of a motorcycle chain (yeah, I know, get a chain tool…). I’d say that $5 is about all it’s worth :-p

cl

3. Maureen says:

If you have very light duty work, and need something softer to clamp it with (because of its delicacy) or you just don’t need a heavy-duty clamp, this Dremel Multi-Vise is very useful. You obviously can’t use it for anything heavy duty but it’s great for hobbyists, especially because you don’t need to bolt it down. You can attach it to almost any bench and then just unscrew it from its position and move it elsewhere. It also has a ball-and-socket joint that can be tightened, to allow you to move your piece into new positions while you work on it with your Dremel.

You can probably find it elsewhere but this is what Google came up with.

4. Kris says:

Chris – if it’s an old enough Craftsman doesn’t it have a lifetime warranty?

5. fred says:

This would never replace any of the Starrett or Wilton vises in our metal fab shop – but even at the low end you should be looking for a vise that does not have the acme screw exposed and subject to getting fouled up with metal filings and the like.

6. Chris says:

Kris — maybe it did, but I certainly didn’t see anything on the box or in the paperwork about it, and frankly the bigger one I got as a replacement was worth the $40 it cost anyway.

cl

7. eschoendorff says:

You get what you pay for folks…

You could buy this vise for $5 or –

You could give me $5 and I could kick you in the nuts. You’d still be farther ahead than the frustration of dicking around with a $5 vise…

8. berettaguy says:

“eschoendorff Says:
    July 31st, 2008 at 7:47 pm

You get what you pay for folks…

You could buy this vise for $5 or –

You could give me $5 and I could kick you in the nuts. ”

I LOVE IT!!! lmao

9. Blair says:

Some homeowners that use a vice every couple of years might like a less expensive option, and I’m sure there are a lot of them who read this column.

That said, it won’t replace my 70+ year old 50 lb vice that my machinist grandfather picked off the scrap heap at “the shop”, as I don’t do much precision work (not saying this one is set for that either).

I just think that as trades people, we have to remember that the “homeowner” tools have a place also, not everyone needs the specs that we do, and even ours vary with job.

10. Blair says:

Oh, and Maureen, I was given a B&D hobby vise last year by a friend that had no use for it(not a tool person, left behind by an ex), and I have used it on things that I would have otherwise have had to rig clamps for. The one you mentioned seems very similar in features, and I can attest that they can be handy!

11. ShopMonger says:

eschoendorff Says:

July 31st, 2008 at 7:47 pm
    You get what you pay for folks…

You could buy this vise for $5 or –

Another fine example of how little people think before they speak (type).
    I have a cheap $9 vise, I build cars, I build furniture, I even build boilers for pool heaters…… Never failed, never broke, I use a 10lb sledge alot….and I mean ALOT. Not all cheap (inexpensive) tools are bad. ANd as pointed out above.. Home owners don’t need 100+ dollar tools.

12. Maureen says:

Yeah, Blair, I’m glad you agree–the Dremel vise I have isn’t something I can put a huge workpiece in but it is something I can stick a small project in and count on it not to warp it while I’m using my Dremel to sand it, or further shape it.

13. steven phillips says:

Hello
    Am,Steven Phillips,from Steve Sons and Limited.i wanna no if you do carry Anvil Benches and Stands in you company
    if you do?Kindly get back to me with the price range,as well the kind of payment you do accept.Thank you.

waiting……….

14. Sam says:

15. tino says:

what are the deminsions of this vice need it for a project im doing