Stinger-450.jpg

The Stinger allows you to evacuate the refrigerant, whether liquid or vapor, from your A/C or refrigeration units.  DIY Toolmongers’ll probably want to check the local equipment rental shops before shelling out for this tool — after all, how often do you need to mess with your refrigerant before it’s completely leaked out? More importantly, how much fun is it when you tell people that you’re renting a Stinger? (Rental places always carry cool stuff — why not missiles?)

The Stinger weighs only 24 lbs — lightweight compared to other recovery systems.  Bacharach makes it in 110V and 220V versions, both of which can handle all commonly used CFCs, HFCs, and HCFCs.

Amazon lists the 110V version for $528.

Stinger [Bacharach]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Refrigerant Recovery

1. Brice says:

I can’t imagine any hobbyist needing one of these. If you need to recover a unit, then you are probably fixing a leak or replacing a compressor, both activities are going to require gauges, a vacuum pump, recovery bottle, torch, and replacement refrigerant. Plus a strong working knowledge. An EPA license would be required as well. That’s about two grand worth of tools to service one household item? Seems pretty excessive.

2. Talisman227 says:

Agreed with Brice. I couldn’t believe seeing the pic of the recovery unit when scrolling down the webpage because our trade is so specialized that I thought I’d never would see a/c specialty tools posted for discussion. Glad to see it though so I can put my 2 cents worth once in a while.

Whenever refrigerant recovery units are needed to make a repair, you obviously have a job ahead of you that requires some special knowledge in order to complete it properly. There is a usually list a several other expensive tools/equipment that are needed to complete the job if refrigerant recovery is needed. I don’t think I’ve ever heard DIY and refrigeration recovery in the same sentence. Koodos to all those DIY-ers that can do it though. However I must ask…what the hell are you doing at home? You should be out there making $35.00 – $40.00/hr plus bennies as well.

• James says:

I am a DIY’er and am not out there because I have a full time job in another field. I tested for and got the EPA cert so I can service my own unit because I paid a guy $200 once and he with just some basic knowlege at the time I was well aware that for the money he really didn’t do anything. At that rate I would rather buy a bottle of gas and a set of guages and just handle it myself. I can sweat copper tubing and some basic wiring isn’t that much of a challenge. I just needed to be able to buy the r22.

3. Zathrus says:

While I can’t imagine doing this as a DIY project, it’s entirely possible that the person could be making significantly more than $35-40/hour, plus bennies.

4. Vince says:

If you are an avid hobby restoration guy and like this stuff, buy the machine, and don’t complain. You are never at the mercy of a repair guy. Keep it inhouse

5. Joshua says:

Kind of silly, but if you can afford $500+ for a tool you may only use a few times then you can afford to have someone else fix it. For the DIYer like myself who doesn’t make 35-40/hour I cant afford a $500+ tool so I don’t see what the market is for this.

6. Joe says:

The issue is not about the affordability of the repair, but 90% of auto techs are complete retards!!!! Which is why I make my money back on these tools in 2-3 weeks.

7. alan says:

is there any value in a Pinnacle Model 1/2 HPC? Is there a chance that someone would want the unit? Thanks for your comments in advance.