digiscale.jpg

MSC has marked down the Mitutoyo Digimatic 0-6″ digital calipers to $90, almost $50 off the $137 list price. The Digimatic, the workhorse in the world of digital calipers, features long battery life and accuracy to 1/100th of a millimeter. It can take inside, outside, and depth measurements, incremental or absolute, with .0005″ resolution, displayed in metric or imperial units.

In short, it’s a powerhouse of measuring, and discounted to boot. The sale goes through August 11, 2008.

Digimatic 0-6″ Digital Caliper [MSC Direct]

9 Responses to Dealmonger: Mitutoyo Digimatic 0-6″ Calipers For $90

1. Shawn says:

Anyone know how these compare to the other brands listed at MSC? For example, some brands are less expensive and have a greater degree of accuracy…I’m new to machine shop work, so opinions are valued

2. Nick Carter says:

I think the MSC catalog mis-states the accuracy (pretty typical for big catalogs to make mistakes), if you look in the Mitutoyo catalog, it shows the accuracy (for the model, 500-196-20) as +/- .001″. Always check dealer specs against mfg. ones…

3. joe says:

The cheaper, “more accurate” ones are knockoffs of the Mitutoyos. I think they’re all made in the same factory in China, so the Harbor Frieght ones, the Grizzly ones, cheap ones at MSC, etc, are all the same.

They’re not that bad, actually. Accuracy between the knockoffs and the expensive Mitutoyos are about the same. The weak spot for the cheap ones seems to be battery life – they eat batteries like they’re going out of style.

Oooh, I just found this, which is very interesting:

I think I might start taking the batteries out of my cheap Harbor Freight calipers when I’m not using them. Or perhaps get a tiny dip switch and install it as a real power switch.

Why is the picture here for a linear scale?

4. James says:

Looks like something they use in a baby delivery.

5. Maureen says:

I do woodworking and I would love to get a caliper, but I’m not sure if I should invest in an expensive one or get an inexpensive one. What have been your experiences and what are your suggestions?

6. fred says:

Maureen

You might find a fractional dial caliper better for woodworking.

7. Coach James says:

As long as you use the same one for all your measurements, will it really make a difference? I’ve got a 6″ $15 from HF I picked up for brake work. So far, it’s been fine.

8. Stuart says:

The MSC specs are the same as the factory specs – 0.0005″ resolution, 0.001″ accuracy.

$90 is a decent price for these calipers. I picked one up for a similar price about a year and a half ago, and have nothing negative to say about them. However, I really wouldn’t recommend them for woodworking. A cheaper set of “woodworking” fractional dial calipers might be a better choice. Using these primarily for woodworking is similar to using a coping saw to cut down a 18″ tree limb.

9. Lancy says:

Yes. I do woodworking too and i bought a fractional caliper from

http://www.tresnainstrument.com/ two months ago. It works well for me and

i am very pleased with it.