450_51FH7N547CL._SS500_.jpg

If you want a dependable, long-lived battery, you’ve got to keep it charged — and that goes double for vehicles that see infrequent use, like boats, lawn tractors, and your babied classic car. Schumacher designed this on-board charger to be mounted inside your vehicle, close to the battery, so a topped-off battery is always just an extension cord away.

The SE-1-12S measures 2 x 8 x 9 inches and weighs about two pounds, so you can probably find room for it in all but the most cramped spaces. Like other trickle-type chargers, after it fully charges the battery it shuts off to prevent damage — it then periodically checks the voltage and applies juice as needed.

At about $30 it’s cheap reliable insurance against a dead battery.

SE-1-12S [Schumacher]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [B0000AXTUY] [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Never Look For Your Battery Charger Again

1. Putnameco says:

I prefer the Battery Tender version of onboard charger. Most battery manufacturers recommend/offer multistage chargers over simple on-off style chargers.

hXXp://toolmonger.com/2008/04/15/all-weather-battery-tending/#comments
    pdf link warning- hXXp://www yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechMan.pdf

Replace XX from hXXp and repalce with tt, done to avoid moderation bot that doesn’t post posts with multiple links.

2. ShopMonger says:

These work great….. Had a few and love them for boats…

3. Toolaremia says:

Here we go again. 🙂

These chargers work great. I have a ten year old WestCo Marine AGM battery on the Craftsman-branded version and it’s still going strong. It’s in a car that sits all Winter and only runs a couple times a month in the Summer.

All that hoo-ha about “multistage” chargers is true; they will make a battery last longer. But if you start with a charged battery (you just ran the car, right?) and don’t need it to last 30 years, the on/off chargers will do just as well in my professional opinion and personal experience.

4. Tony says:

Is this better than installing some pigtails and running to an external charger? It’s still a simple plug away from being connected, but you can charge multiple batteries with a single charger.

5. Toolaremia says:

Tony:
    I assume you mean charge multiple batteries one-at-a-time, right?

I actually do that. I have pigtails on all of my cars that I use these chargers on. that way I can swap chargers around as I rotate through the herd. I use a pigtail with alligator clips for batteries not in a car. The current Sears version includes a short pigtail and alligator clips.

For the pigtails (in-fact, all my DC power systems), I’ve standardized on the Anderson PowerPoles. They are great little genderless power connectors.

6. Ryan says:

I’ve got one of these installed on my 49′ Chevy and it’s awesome. I’m searching for the electrical short but in the mean time I never have a dead battery. Highly recommended.