Universal Square

Love ’em or hate ’em, companies keep coming out with multi-use tools. Some multi-use tools, like the combination square and the layout square, have stood the test of time and have found their way into just about every handyman’s pouch. Does the Universal Square fit into this category, or is it yet another tool doomed to be forgotten?

D-Unique, the makers of the Universal Square, designed this 12oz aluminum tool for framers, but they claim other tradesmen such as iron workers, electricians, carpenters, and cabinet builders will find it useful too.

This 7-1/2″ long and 3-1/2″ wide tool features separate pivot points for rise-and-run and angle measurements. Cutouts for measuring 1/2″, 3/4″, 1-1/2″, 1-3/4″, 2″, 2-1/4″, and 3″ run along one side of the blade and cutouts for measuring 1-1/2″, 3-3/4″, 5-1/2″, and 6-1/4″ run on the other side.

The Universal Square can best be described by the operations it performs. It measures angles and widths, holds chalk-lines and tape measure blades, scribes lines for ripping 2×4’s in half, squares window and door openings, guides circular saws for square cuts, transfers stud locations, and transfers anchor bolt locations to sill plates.

Sold at Home Depot and some other local hardware stores or online at a few select retailers, the Universal Square should run you $14.

Universal Square
[Corporate Site]
Universal Square [Medford Tools]

13 Responses to The Universal Square

1. fred says:

I don’t know about this one – but our framing gang like the Hanson Pivot Square to add to Swanson Speed Squares – for roof framing – so new tools sometimes do make inroads.

2. Rob [C.H. Hanson rep] says:

Fred – If you are interested in other C.H. Hanson products, please let me know.

Sean O’Hara has my contact information and he can provide you with it.

Thanks,
    Rob

3. Coligny says:

Tool seems awesome, is there a metric version for eurofa… hem… people like me… imperially challenged…

AND a mini version for people who use Proxxon tools more often than Caterpillar (this one should include a protractor of some kind).

4. american lockpicker says:

Does anyone know if their made in USA?

5. PutnamEco says:

Doesn’t fit in a tool pouch very well. Hand tools that can’t be carried easily usually ends up left in the truck, or lost on the jobsite.

6. Kurt Schwind says:

Not sure about the jobsite, but I have a speed square hanging on my workbench wall, and I’d seriously consider getting this also. $14 isn’t much to spend on something that speeds up construction. I’m mildly concerned about where to actually /put/ the thing. I mean, it won’t hang on the pegboard and table top space is a premium for something like that. I’m already irked that my battery charger is on my work bench.

7. Zathrus says:

Er, why wouldn’t it hang on pegboard? There are a number of conveniently placed holes in the thing that look perfect.

As for the battery charger — if it has mounting holes on the back then take a piece of scrap plywood, drill a couple holes in it for the pegs, put a couple screws in it for the battery charger and hang it on your pegboard.

8. Derek Pater says:

The Roofing Protractor is the Best Method for Rafter Layout.
    Currently Stanley tools USA and Cooper Tools USA are looking at it!.

9. fred says:

Derek Pater:

Thanks for your post about your invention. Hope it becomes available outside of Australia in some metallic version that will stand up on the jobsite and in truck toolboxes.

Here are 2 other links

10. Derek Pater says:

Fred Thank you for your support and these are two more weblinks for you.

Regards Derek Pater

11. Talbert McMullin says:

I saw one of these “universal squares” and it was NOT a pretty tool. It was rough looking…like someone forgot the final finishing. I need accuracy and the poor finish on this tool makes me think it’s not accurate. When I’m making or installing a cabinet, it better be dead on or close to it.

12. robert fox says:

not a replacement for a speed square. On your toolbelt it is a hazard to the carpenter and anything it comes in contact with. Not a scribing tool as the combination square or speed square with its dedicated notches. It holds a tape and snap line: Buy a nail or use these long proven layout tools the way they have always been utilized. This tool is specific to 2×4 dimensional lumber. Three counter-sunk screw holes round out the mystery of this toolbox turd.

13. robert fox says:

Useless for 2×6 wall construction:particularly when laying out anchor bolt holes on the bottom plate. As for scribing a rip cut there is nothing in the dessign to facilitate this. It is not practical as a roof framing layout tool as it is hard to read the rafter cuts and it is a dangerous toolbelt turd. Somebody could get hurt. I’m going to use the mysterious counter-sunk holes to screw a scrap of exotic wood to it and make a technical style lamp.