450_craftsmanantivibe.jpg

Random orbit sanders do a fine job of smoothing surfaces without leaving swirl marks, but after a long day of vibration they can leave your hands numb — and long-term exposure to this can lead to permanent nerve damage. Craftsman Professional’s Vibrafree sander cleverly incorporates nested and counterbalanced sanding disks that move precisely in opposite directions. This action prevents swirls and significantly reduces the amount of vibration a user will experience.

The Vibrafree sands with inner and outer sanding disks that are replaced separately. The space between the disks is used to remove dust to its “Cyclonic Dust Collection System,” which Craftsman claims traps 40% more dust than standard dust-removal systems. It harnesses the centrifugal force of spinning air to more efficiently collect dust in its trap.

You can pick up one of these hand-savers for about $100 at your local Sears or Sears.com.

Craftsman Professional Vibrafree Sander [Sears]

17 Responses to Sand More With Less Vibration

1. Brew says:

Looks nice, I would have considered picking one up, but too bad it says Craftsman on the side.

Brew

2. BC says:

Frankly, I don’t care *what* a tool says on the side. If it does what I need it to do, it’s going in my toolbox.

Neat idea.

3. Stuart says:

I’ll stick to my Bosch and pair of impact gloves.

Craftsman sanders are somewhat known for providing a non-random scratch pattern, but maybe things have changed.

Let’s not be too prejudiced, and give this sander a chance. While many Craftsman “innovations” are overhyped gimmicky flops, this one may be a hit if it works.

I wonder if this tool resulted from their invention seeking (stealing) project.

4. Shopmonger (aka Donny B) says:

Funny how crafstman, who has brought us some of the best tools in todays market gets “crapped on” by people who have little or no knowledge about the tool.

BUY the tool not the brand. this looks like a great idea. Anything that can relieve fatigue while sanding is great. Desing and function must start somewhere.

5. PutnamEco says:

Funny how people who don’t regularly wear out tools, think that Craftsman (who 35-40 years ago made a few quality tools) compares to Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee,Dewalt and Festool in manufacturing quality tools.

Get burned by a brand three or four times and see if you continue to buy them.

6. l_bilyk says:

That is one crazy looking sander. But PC is coming out with a nice brush-less sander for the same money… that what i am going to buy

7. Old Donn says:

As stated on another post, most pros and serious amateurs steer clear of Craftsman power tools. There are some of their Professional line, which this is, that are made by DeWalt. Is this one? Who knows? There used to be websites that revealed who made what for Craftsman, but I haven’t seen one for a while.

8. Kevin says:

For the record, DeWalt is not a manufacturer, it’s a brand. DeWalt is made by Black & Decker (Yes, really, Black & Decker) as are some Craftsman power tools.

Some of your primary manufacturers of Craftsman power hand tools are TTI (Techtronic Industries Co. LTD), Makita, and Black & Decker. Your way to know which one makes what is the first three numbers (source numbers) of the model number:

316 – TTI
    317 – Makita
    900 – Black & Decker

There are others that produce and I honestly haven’t had a chance to look at most of the professional line to see who makes them yet but the bottom line is never condemn a brand, condemn a manufacturer and know who makes your tools. I’ll take the Craftsman 19.2 drill/driver any day over it’s 18 volt Bosch counterpart because I know who makes it and it’s a piece of junk.

Kevin T. Pace
    Customer Solutions Consultant
    Lawn & Garden Dept.
    Sears Store #1295, St. Petersburg, FL

9. Brew says:

Well, since I am a contractor and own pretty much every tool made, I know good tools. So besides the fact craftsman hasn’t made a good tool in 20 years, I have had more than my fair share of terrible experiences with their service that i will never walk in to a sears store again.

Brew

10. Old Donn says:

Aside to Kevin. For the record, DeWalt is a manufacturer that was bought by B&D Corporation, as were Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss and Delta among others. They all still maintain their own facilities.

11. Kevin says:

Yes and no.

B&D is starting to move production of DeWalt into their own native facilities this year (a couple products were moved last year but a good deal more are being moved this year.) because it is becoming too expensive to maintain the separate production values.

Their 18 volt XP line drills and hammer drills and a good deal of the corded tools are still being made in their original DeWalt facility. The circular saws, reciprocating saws, grinders and 9.6 volt line have been moved into B&D native facilities as of March if I recall correctly.

The 18 volt line and other corded tools are scheduled to move into the B&D processing plant once some of the technologies been updated with complete merge and shutting down of the original DeWalt factory by mid-2010. I will be fascinated to see if the quality holds up across the move.

I think Porter-Cable was on the list for a similar situation of shut down and merge by 2010 as well but I am not 100% sure on that one. Haven’t received any info on DeVibiss or Delta since we don’t carry their lines so I can’t give an answer on that one.

~Kevin

12. Kevin says:

Oh, and just as an afterthought, I know my next door neighbor who works as a contractor bought the random orbital sander so I popped over to have a look at it and it is indeed made by TTI, the same company that makes Ryobi and Rigid power tools.

He also says he loves it and owns a surprisingly large collection of Craftsman power tools for a contractor I suppose.

~Kevin

13. fred says:

Re Kevin Says:

I thought that at least some of the Ridgid power tools were made by (now maye for) Emerson – who used (but now doesn’t) to make a lot of stationary tools for Sears. When Sears them over – Emerson hooked up with Home Depot – who now seems to put the Ridgid name on a variety of things (like holesaws made by Kenametal (Disston/Blu-Mol) and shovels made by Ames.
    Sometimes the UPC on the label is the key to who made what.

14. fred says:

Here is a link to a listing of some Sears sourcing codes:

Over the years I think that I’ve doped out that:

706 = Waterloo
    171 = Vermont America (now part of Bosch)
    315 = Ryobi (part of TTI)
    536 = Murray
    875 = Florida Pneumatic
    758 = Emerson
    113 = Emerson
    071 / 71 = Poulan (part of Electrolux) and Agri-Fab

For newer items at Sears that have UPC’s – it is much easier to tell.

15. Kevin says:

That source list is a little outdated. We discontinued using a lot of those manufacturers a couple years ago and have a couple new ones that produce stuff for us now.

71 or 071 isn’t a model number source. It’s a department division. 71 is the internal store department division for Lawn & Garden products just like 9 is for tools. (Divisions allow Sears to us a fairly simple 5 digit item numbering system combined with a division number rather than the 10-15 digit item number system like Wal-Mart or Target uses.) Basically 71-74544 is an electric weedwacker, 9-74544 is an Armtstrong stubby wrench.

And Poulan is not a manufacturer. A few years ago, the former Electrolux Outdoor Products was bought out by Husqvarna AB. That’s the Swedish company famous for their bright orange motorcycles and sewing machines as well as the heavy duty commercial chain saws. Electrolux was reformatted into Husqvarna outdoor products which makes 90% of the powered Lawn & Garden Equipment Sears sells. They cover the brand names Craftsman, Craftsman Professional, Poulan, Poulan Pro, Weedeater, Companion as well as Husqvarna their brand.

Husqvarna also produces for other retailers American Yard Products, Flymo, Lawn King, McCulloch, Partner, Rally, Yard Pro, Huskee, Predator, and Viking to name a few.

There are a few variants that are made for us by MTD, the former Murray (Now Briggs and Stratton Specialty Products who makes our Rear Engine Rider), Toro, and Remington but it’s mostly Husqvarna.

~Kevin

16. Michael says:

My Dad has one of the Vibrafree sanders and enjoys it. Unfortunately, he can’t find a local Sears store that sells the replacement sanding discs. I’ve searched the internet for him and can’t find them either. Anybody have a clue where I can get them?

Thanks,
    Michael

17. NebraskaDave says:

To Michael – Just came across these comments and read where you are looking for replacement discs. Here’s the link to Sears’ website: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Tools&keyword=vibrafree&sLevel=0

To Everyone – Is it me or doesn’t the Craftsman sander look a lot like the Rockwell VibrFree sander? ( http://www.rockwelltools.com/RK4245K.htm )

I know Positec has been making power tools for labeling by others (True Values’ Master Mechanic) and I believe I heard they’re doing the same for the Craftsman label now.