neuton-mower.jpg

Planet-healthy lawn care is maturing into a viable alternative for small to medium sized lawns. Leading the charge are battery-powered mowers like the Neuton CE 6.2 — they’re quiet and feature zero-emission operation.

With a 19” cutting path, the CE 6.2 will chomp lawns up to 1/3 acre or about 15,000 sq. ft. on a single charge of its 360-watt-hour battery, according to Neuton. For larger yards you can plug in additional batteries. It’s a leap in technology from the old gas hogs that spew greenhouse gases into the weekend sky like a fire hose.

However, you have to consider the trade-offs of switching to a rig like the Neuton — weight springs to mind immediately. The CE 6.2 runs around 70 lbs, while a normal push mower of roughly the same size weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 to 50 lbs. Is that a huge deal? Probably not, but remember you are manhandling this thing around the yard, so weight does matter.

Overall the Neuton is a great deal better for the planet, but you have to take into account all the costs, like $90 batteries. Each of us has to decide, based on our own situation, when is the right time to upgrade our lawn-care technology. Still, it’s a good idea, and we’re curious to see if battery-powered rigs like the Neuton catch on.

CE 6.2 19″ Mower [Neuton]

10 Responses to Neuton’s Battery-Powered Mower

1. Jason says:

I hate reading that tools like the Neuton are zero-emissions — while that may technically be true, the process of charging the batteries draws power from *somewhere*, and the generation of that power certainly WASN’T zero-emissions for most, if not all, of the US.

Sure, the Neuton is better for your local (read: boundaries of your property) environment, and is very likely better for the entire environment, but it’s not zero-emissions, it’s offset-emissions.

2. Frank Townend says:

It would be interesting to see if you could charge the batteries using a solar panel charging system. In most places you only have to mow once every one or two weeks, leaving 7 – 14 days of charging time.

3. Lou says:

I purchased a Neuton after weighing different options for mowing our .5 acre of grass. With it I purchased two batteries. In the Seattle area, all electricity comes from Hydroelectric, so charging here is zero emissions. For other areas, you can get kits which charge via Wind or Solar, and under ideal conditions will charge the battery in under a week.

I’m actually very impressed with the mower. It can handle the half acre on one battery and is very well designed. My only complaints about it are: the shipping container crushed which damaged two wheels (although I didn’t notice at first), and the edges have VERY sharp edges – I had to break the edges with a file.

4. KaiserM715 says:

Don’t forget the commonly overlooked fact that batteries are not made from unicorn smiles, rainbows and elf giggles (I wish I could claim that I came up with that myself, but alas, I did not).

5. Bill Schuller says:

I own the Neuton CE 5.2, the smaller original offering. I don’t have a huge yard, but it was enough to make it through the front and back yards if I’m not mowing more than an inch or so. I have to say that the cutting width and bag size are both frustratingly small. That being said, its a breeze to use. I own the trimmer attachment as well, which works conveniently as I can switch between mowing and trimming along the fence without having to re-trace my steps. While the trimmer adjusts to edge as well, I had trouble with it every time the mower hit a rut in my lawn or the sidewalk. Very difficult to get edge along the curb as well.

Why did I buy this thing? I was aware of the limitations up front. Well, my habits do generally lean towards the green side, especially for a Texas resident it seems. I saw the writing on the wall for gas prices. It might only be $5/gallon, but every penny counts in my book. I’ve always hated loud lawn care equipment ever since I was old enough to care about being woken up by the neighborhood crews. While the Neuton isn’t whisper quiet, it’s much less noisy. I’ve even run it while my 9 month old napped. I have to say though, the best part about the thing is the maintenance. While you can let a good Briggs and Stratton go with nothing but gas and an occasional glug of oil for years (at least in California), it’ll give up the ghost eventually if not taken care of. The Neuton has two maintenance items. Wipe the grass and grime off of the handle and sharpen the blade. You’ll have to replace the battery eventually, but it is a common lead acid battery, and I expect mine to last a few good years at least.

6. Shopmonger (aka Donny B) says:

Jason , don’t throw salt, as lou pointed out more and more electricity is coming with less and less carbon bills. (bill as in more and more carbon)

Solar, wind and nuclear just to name a few. Batteries are now recycled also..

I am a big green fan, and if we take a few extra moments in our lives we can take things to the next level……. think positive…

7. Chris says:

I bought a 5.2CE earlier this year. H-D was offering a $100 instant rebate on “green” mowers if you brought in a gas mower as a trade. My dad had an old gas mower that wasn’t running so I used that to get the credit.

I don’t have a large yard, but I do like having nice grass. I bought the Neuton CE to replace the gas mower I borrowed, but had to return. The gas mower replaced the reel mower I’d been using. While a reel mower very “green”, didn’t do a very nice job cutting my grass which is possibly operator error, or possibly that the operator prefers power tools and didn’t give the reel mower a chance.

The Pros to the Neuton are;

It’s quite. My town has a strict noise by-law. It basically amounts to no loud power tools after 7PM law (Compressors, Mowers, Leaf Blowers etc) . This mower makes way less noise than a hair drier. I can cut my lawn at my own convenience. Great place to live unless you like to make noise.

It’s small. Perfect for my small yard.

Cordless, it mulches, quick adjust cutting height, easy storage.

It does a nice job cutting the grass.

It’s very environmentally friendly, depending on how you look at it.

Cons;

It’s heavier than my gas mower. My garage is behind my house and I have to carry the mower down some stairs to get it into the yard. Not a big deal, but I noticed it.

It’s small. The 14″ cutting width on the 5.2 is very narrow. That’s ok for my yard, but it could easily double the amount of time it takes you to cut your lawn.

It’s very environmentally friendly, depending on how you look at it.

8. Chris says:

Oops… My first “Pro” should be that it’s quiet.

9. Jim says:

One of my neighbours has the smaller Neuton and one day he happened to stop by and see my Black & Decker CMM1200, he was very impressed. I do not know if the Neuton build quality is better on this newer larger model, but his smaller one was a toy compared to the B&D.

I looked into both brands and settled on the B&D, US built except for charger. B&D has been building electric and cordless mowers for a very long time they seem more refined to me. I also am thinking that B&D has a better chance of being around 10 years from now if I need a part.

10. Zathrus says:

If you’re interested in the Neuton, http://www.woot.com has the Neuton 5.2 CE for $299 + $5 shipping today (July 28, 2008) only. Apparently that’s about $75 off the regular price.