buckredpoint.jpg

The rubber-handled serrated blades found on many work knives in Buck’s new outdoor line are a step away from their classic style. Some look rather strange and lack a certain old-timey vibe — but in defense of the new knives, like the Redpoint pictured, at least Buck’s designers are treading on new ground.

The angular design and button-locking blade meld into a quite attractive knife, all things considered. The Redpoint measures 4-1/4″ when closed, and it’s pretty thin so it won’t feel like you’re carrying a brick in your pocket. For $30 it doesn’t look like a bad investment — and it won’t kill you if you happen to destroy it in the course of duty around the shop.

Redpoint [Buck]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Buck’s Redpoint Outdoors Knife

1. bon733 says:

I purchased this knife at REI and use it all the time in my boat and camping. It works very well and can flip open with ease so having to use two hands to open it is not necessary when you need to cut a line.

2. Ben76 says:

You know, I love Buck knives. I have the classic folder with the gigantic brass bolsters and an old fixed blade hunter with micarta grips that I feel is rather elegant in a world of skele-commando knives. But, my beef with this knife and others is the serrated edge. Serrated edges are, for me, VERY hard to sharpen with a stone. So I guess I see all knives with serrated edges as basically disposable. I get that a serrated edge cuts very well. I like to keep my knives very sharp and they cut very well too. To me honing a knife by hand is one of the funnest parts of owning it. Ok that’s my $.02

love the site!

3. douglas kwan says:

just sharpen the serrated part like you would do to a normal edge. yes you wont hit all of the serrations but it is better than nothing. over time the serrations will wear away. if you are nit picky you can get a round ceramic or diamond stone to sharpen the serrations individually

4. Old Donn says:

I agree with Ben76 re:the Buck 110 folder. It’s the yardstick by which all other lockbacks are measured. It would be nice if it had a one-handed opening feature. I’ve got a triangle shaped stone that works like a charm on serrated blades. That said, I’ve only had to sharpen my Spyderco once, (after cutting up carpet). They seem to hold their edge almost indefinitely. Mine does, anyway.

5. Shopmonger (aka Donny B) says:

Serrated blades are good for a few things, but as always it depends on what your needs are. Sharpening is not a problem with a round “kitchen” style sharpener.

6. Bugler says:

A note for fellow Buck lovers: The Buck 425 “Minibuck” (reviewed here: http://toolmonger.com/2006/07/02/our-favorite-everyday-pocket-knife-the-minibuck/) is available for the ridiculous price of $5 at Blade Matrix here:http://www.bladematrix.tv/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=25962