hot-or-not4.jpgcoaxstrip.jpg

We like stripping coax wire about as much as ripping our eyelids out. Unfortunately, this past week we’ve been carefully stripping miles of coax and, of course, swearing a great deal. Xcelite makes the Coaxial Two-Step Stripper to simplify this chore — though we’ve yet to check it out, it looks like it might beat our current method.

The Two-Step Coaxial Wire Stripper Kit can strip all single- or double-shielded coax cables for connections or soldering. It slides over your thumb and the wire goes through the hole on the side.

We’re not sure if something like this works better than the standard guillotine strippers, or if it’s just an overpriced cigar clipper. What do you think? Let us know in comments.

Coaxial Two-Step Stripper [Specialized Products]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

17 Responses to Hot or Not? Coaxial Wire Strippers

1. Ernie says:

I have a similar stripper and they work great for terminating a lot of coax, provided that it’s adjusted properly for the cable you are using. The model I have has two blades you can adjust independently with a small Allen head screw. Once they’re set it’s fairly quick to score the outer jacket and dialectric. They main thing I like about it is the compact size. The worst part is having to adjust the blades if you have to jump from one cable brand to another, such as in repairs.

2. Adam says:

I have one made by Ideal. It is simply a plastic handle, with a blade with notches in it. You put the cable in the first slot, spin a couples times, and the outer sheath is cut. You then use the second blade to cut the inner sheath, and strip. Works great costs maybe $5. Mine came with a complete set with crimper, cutters, and stripper.

3. fred says:

My installation sub – use Cablematic tools:

4. John E. says:

I used one on my house and it works great once its adjusted.

5. Bren R. says:

I use professional versions – one for RG6, one for RG59. Running miles of coax for arena shows makes this hot, hot, hot.

6. Jim K. says:

Definitely hot if you’re doing any quantity of coax termination. The one caveat as mentioned is when you switch between gauges of cable (as is often the case between manufacturers). On some tools this will require you to reset the blade, on others adjust the amount of pressure you use. THe one I use is of the latter style and I wouldn’t trade it for the other as once you get used to it it’s a lot faster.

7. SouthPaw says:

Non Adjustable HOT. Adjustable NOT. Best to buy a stripper for the cable you plan to strip not one that works with multiple sizes. Then be careful using it. Many people misuse the stripper. (Turning backwards, Using to force of stripped insulator)

8. Josh says:

I have a model made by Greenlee. Makes a large coax install much nicer. Couple it with the Ideal coax compression tool (also does BNC) and you can put an end on a cable in seconds. I do a lot of different telcom work, including CCTV and some other. Its more than worth it for me though if you only do a few a month or so I don’t know if you would want to.

9. Clinton says:

Not. Atleast not with the crimp on BNC connectors that I use for CCTV work. The strippers cut the braid too short. With a bit of practice it’s quite easy to strip coax with a razor blade or wire strippers. It’s quite possible that my opinion would be different if my employer bought a different brand of BNC connector.

10. Pencilneck says:

HOT. I picked up a cheap one from Jameco a few years back. Once I got it adjusted, I can prep a bunch of wires quickly.

11. Matthew says:

Hot.

We have a few here at the TV station I work for, each is set for the different coax cables we use. We don’t have the Xcelite model, ours have multiple blades – as you cut, you roll the blades in and it makes the cuts deeper so the jacket, braid, and foam insulator are all cut to the correct length.

Combined with a ratcheting BNC crimper and some quality connectors, one can rip-zip through a large install.

12. Simon says:

Hot – I have used this stripper and many similar ones with perfect results over 1000’s of connectors (Twist on BNC’s) – BUT you need to adjust the two blades first.

13. dbett says:

Yup, I have a similar one. Works great.

It’s really nice to make custom patch cables that don’t leave you with a tangle of cable stuffed behind your equipment.

14. David Moisan says:

Hot. I use a very similar tool to strip network cable. Mine is not adjustable; if I were doing it over, it would be, as the OD is different between RG-58, 59, 6, Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6A and even between manfacturers.

Still, the concept is sound and I like this type of cable stripper. If you do use these, remember that you *don’t* want to strip through the insulation completely–*score* it instead so that you can twist off the insulation! Else you cut shield strands (annoying), foil or twisted pair inside the cable and have to start over.

15. Supertech says:

Not! that unit is horrendous straight out of the box for installing coax connectors. Once the adjustments are set it is fair…until the vibrations from your truck vibrate the screws loose and out of calibration. Use a quality tool from Cable Prep like the CPT. It is self adjusting and replacing the blade cartridge is easy and safe. Keep away from something you have to use in step increments.

16. Aki says:

I just found your site.. it´s great!
    But what comes to wire strippers we use Jokari tools here in Finland:

17. cconnector01 says:

Cable connectors and electricians has this tool and they are very advanced in stripping the cables neatly with safety. Thanks for the developers to make this tool available for all the people. There is no need of training for this and all people can use this to swip off the wires and cables. This is available in different sizes according to the cable size.