hot-or-not4.jpg
PneuLuber-450LJ.jpg

Lumax claims their PneuLuber pneumatic grease gun is the only dual-piston air-powered grease gun and that it can empty a grease tube in less than a minute.  Street pricing is about $180.  The PneuLuber features trigger-controlled variable-speed grease delivery along with an “instant” brake, both of which keep this tool from being a grease-fountain mess-maker of doom — but they also seem to indicate that speed isn’t really the point.

Fourteen ounces of grease in under one minute: Maybe I’m missing something, but, unless you’re on a race team working in the pit, is there any reason to own a high-speed grease gun? For that matter, has anyone timed the speed of a hand-powered grease gun?

A powered grease gun I can understand — on any job that uses a grease gun all day it could prevent lawsuits over handshake accidents — but how important is fast greasing? Let us know in comments.

PneuLuber Grease Gun [Lumax]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Hot or Not? Grease-Flood Overkill

1. Buster says:

In large machinery, many have remote grease fittings (ie there is a long hose or pipe between the zerk and the actual point that needs the grease) because you don’t want to have to crawl/climb out on some dangerous part of the machinery or have to shut down just to grease. You would definitely want speed when you are are filling the lines initially. You would also want the speed when doing regular greasing bc I’ve seen up to 20 zerks at each remote grease station. Time is money. I would say hot.

2. Meh, I’ve never understood the need for air/electric powered grease guns for the average guy, maybe if you work in an shop.

Now if it could do something cool like feel the change in resistance to flow, like when you’re lubing a fitting and the grease starts coming out of the joint, and stop, or if it could meter precise amounts of grease, that might be something.

You know I bet I could empty a tube of grease with a hand pumped gun in less then a minute.

3. Ray says:

I never understood powered tube loaded grease guns. I would think if you needed that much grease in a hurry you would be better off with a bucket mounted grease gun than one that uses 14 oz tubes.

4. Old Donn says:

Aside to B. Johnson. You’re right, an amateur doesn’t need a power grease gun, or any air tools for that matter, but they sure do make life easier sometimes. Especially when you’re on the ground and you have to hold the hose tip on the zerk fitting. This particular gun? Not. But you gotta love a grease gun with a tactical sling.

5. PutnamEco says:

Hot, I’m with Ray on the barrel mount. Lube a dozer or tractor in half the time, of a manual gun.

Lincoln makes a neat cordless gun, for those interested in that type of thing.

6. fred says:

Re PutnamEco Says:

We are often on large construction sites and are in a heavy trade-union area. As such, the lubrication job is taken over by OE helpers or oilers – and when there a 10 or more pieces of heavy equipment on the site – the OE union requires a greaser (some really big jobs have a head greaser).
    In these cases the added productivity created by tools like these – may not exactly translate into lower cost.

7. Coach James says:

The union dictates who can and can’t grease a piece of equipment? Am I understanding that correctly?