solidwall.jpg

If you’ve ever slaved over a project around the house and shown it to people only to have them shrug and say, “Cool,” you’ll feel a piece of reader Danamight’s pain. He built this incredibly solid retaining wall by himself, and we doubt anyone else will fully appreciate the hard work that went into it.

I spent a small fortune on this backyard project – to save my foundation from erosion & mold. I also lost 25 lbs doing it, so I assume gasoline, gym membership & diet foods would have cost a lot more. I hate gyms!

I’ve never done masonry work on this scale, but from the looks of it I can tell you I’m glad I’ve never had to.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

11 Responses to Flickr Pool: Backyard Build

1. jc says:

And unless the comments in the Flickr photoset are misleading, that’s a lady who built this wall!

That’s *very* cool.

2. forlerm says:

now that is some art i can look at and enjoy

3. Frank Hicinbothem says:

Damn, that is a SERIOUSLY impressive looking piece of work! Even for a professional, let alone an amateur!

4. Mike Y says:

That, sir, is a splendid piece of work. A job not just well done, but ‘about as good as can be’ done.

5. John says:

You are SO hired! Never mind that I could use the health benefits of building, well, a couple of walls… I’d really like to have a wall that looks like that — not like something I’d build!

6. Old Coot says:

Just wish the builder was a neighbor/friend. Very spiffy job, way beyond my talents.

7. AC says:

For jc…

Browsing Flickr found this pic of “her” first:

Turns out, that’s just a hired hand for some dirty work. This is she:

8. Ryan says:

I built my first retaining wall a few months ago, and it did not look that nice. I had a problem getting the blocks to offset perfectly like yours appears to have done. Your wall looks both perfect and stout IMHO.

9. Frank Townend says:

Excellent work. Hats off to you!

10. Baron says:

I put up about 80 feet of a regular ol wood fence earlier this year by myself and that was hard enough (mostly b/c I used the pre-built panels and they were weighing in well over 100 lbs, that was draining), so I have some mad respect for this amount of a back yard project! GOOD JOB

11. DanaMite says:

Howdy guys. Yes, DanaMite is a chica….. ME!

A tom boy camper girl who loves living in the mountains, but the seep springs was ruining my home’s foundation. I want clarify some things here. The brick wall you saw (at the top of this post) was built in the mid 1980’s, when the home was remodeled. I bought the place in 2004. There was no proper drainage or grading around the home, no patios, just a mud lake at the back door. That brick wall became a mini waterfall during big rains.

$2000 later – After the heavy machinery was done digging my backyard down 3 feet (without hitting the propane line), I had a 100 foot long mud wall, 2-4′ high to retain. I choose Verdura block & built the majority of it by hand w/ a level & a pick axe. Lost 25 lbs too. Who needs a gym, when you live in the mountains?

Verdura – http://www.soilretention.com/verdura-specs.html

Now that wall is an impressive wildflower garden & I will be posting many photos on flickr to come. This summer was well watered. I spent last weekend laying pavers on the walkway to the garage. Next is the front walk way. The property shall keep me busy & in shape for decades to come. Just the brush clearance alone is a chore, since we are surrounded by National Forests.

I also work from home running my own camping web site, for the past 12 years.

Not your average lady,