BackpackWelder450.jpg

Zena Inc.’s extensive website, though amateur-looking, advertises some welders with extremely impressive specifications, all backed by a three-year warranty and a 60-day free trial.  They design the welders to attach to an existing engine, either freestanding or in a vehicle, and they claim that electric, gas, hydraulic, and pneumatic motors are all compatible with the welders.

Obviously, an assemble-your-own-welder kit could save you some money over a big commercial welder, but the specifications are hard to believe for $800. And I’m especially impressed by the specs on the pictured backpack welder, a cordless welder in a 65-lb backpack you can carry anywhere — no wonder they’re charging $3,750 for it.

Am I missing something? Does anybody out there have a Zena welder?

Backpack Welder [Zena]

12 Responses to Reader Question: Zena Welders Too Good To Be True?

1. rbb says:

Are you sure that welder in the picture isn’t an ecto-blaster from “Ghostbusters?” All those exposed wires at the bottom are an accident waiting to happen.

2. fred says:

I think I feel safer that our Miller Trailblazer is truck-mounted

3. Jim K. says:

Wow, that thing scares the bejeebus out of me. I’ll stay with my Miller (even if it’s specs aren’t quite as good).

4. Chris says:

Real or not the only thing that comes to mind when seeing this post was the “time machine” from Napoleon Dynamite 😮

5. jeff says:

I second the ecto blaster. I’d hate to think what would happen if you had two of these things and then crossed the streams.

6. eschoendorff says:

I think it’s pretty cool, but I’d want to see one in action before buying, to be sure!

7. Shopmonger says:

So when Zul comes back we can get 3 or 4 of these together and send her back to the dimension form which she came……

8. kcshawman says:

I’ve been wanting a Zena welder for years and I think they are good idea however they talk about how they are so much cheaper then say a Miller Trailblazer then they want to charge over $3000 for something with an engine. If they sold the 150 amp unit for about $299 then they would have something. I have the engine.

9. Gerry Hawkes says:

I had a 150 Amp Zena welder under the hood of my pickup for several years and was extremely pleased with how well it worked! Unfortunatly it won’t mount as easily on my new pickup so I may have it converted to run off a tractor PTO.

10. Scott says:

I actually have one of the zena backpacks. had it for over a year now. and i feel after reading your posters faint, comments i should speak up.

Pros:
    Zena staff is great to work with. i have a couple parts needed replaced under warranty and although it took a week to get that was the only issue.

the backpack model does what it say it can do.

Cons:
    Heat. this sucker puts off allot of heat and vibrations. you definatly dont want to wear it while its running, and even when your donw, you HAFT TO LET IT COOL DOWN before putting it back onto your back to carry home etc.

weight is more i feel then what they list, the unit is built tough, mine survived a 2 story fall. but its pretty heavy, someone whos not so in shape cant carry it.

My field of work has me welding in areas when you cant really use a truck mounted or genny driven welder. either due to space restraints, or just being out in the middle of no where (most my clients are end of the world nuts haha) but really performance wise its a good unit

hope yall make use of it, other then to make ghost buster jokes.

Scott

11. Dale Moulton says:

I suggest you try a Zena before making comment. I have used them for years and they constantly outperform all the normal welders. The high frequency current creates a weld pool circulation that substantially increases penetration, and the handle mounted control is fantastic. I have two 150am units piggybacked together and driven by a 24hp Briggs vertical shaft gas engine. I use a 1 to 4 step up pulley combination running the power heads at 14400rpm. I use 3/16 6011 rods for most jobs around the farm. I can weld inch thick plate effortlessly on my farm equipment. The Zenas never give any trouble and are like a good friend, always there when you need them. I could not be happier. The process of building the welding unit was enjoyable with a great feeling of a job well done.

12. ronnie says:

hi, i have been welding for sixty years or more using gas, mig,arc and want to now build a mobile unit but still want to use a mig welder that can be connected to tha unit that being the master
    can anyone help with this project