groz-plane.jpg

Hand planes can get pricey in a hurry. The Groz planes I’ve run across look sturdy and well-designed, but the feature that really grabs me is the handles. Ok, it’s not exactly the greatest reason to dig a plane — in fact it has nothing to do with the actual function of the tool at all — but sometimes you can get suckered by a pretty face.

In the case of this Groz #4 hand plane, it’s not just all show and no go. It features a cast iron base, a spring-steel blade that’s hardened to 55 + 5 HRC, and a fully adjustable frog.

The hardwood handle and knob with the brass adjusting nut just kicks me in the rear, though. Even though I don’t have a huge need for one at the moment, I still see a shiny bit of wood on a tool and must have it. Did I mention I’m a sucker for pretty, polished grain?

#4 Wood Plane [Groz]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to Groz Hardwood-Handled Wood Plane

1. fred says:

Poor totes (you say handles) on planes probably do not indicate a quality product – but more important is how much tuning you need to do to get the plane to produce a decent shaving.

I’d be more concerned about the sole being flat, the plane iron being of a quaility that you can hone and will keep an edge and be of adequate thichness not to chatter. Take a look to see if you can adjust the throat adequately. Does the chipbreaker work as intended. Is the frog machined decently so you can set the iron correctly. What about baclklash in setting the iron?

I’ve never tried Groz – but I do know old Stanley Bedrocks and new Lie Nielsens – to name a few – can produce quality work.

2. Ron says:

I bought a Groz plane, ONCE. It was the adjustable throat block plane and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to tune it enough to work. Not work well, just work. I’ve got an eighty year old Stanley that runs circles around it.
    You ought to save your money and buy a decent, vintage Stanley. They have nice wood too.

3. Eli says:

I have TWO Groz planes that I bought at the same time. Decent, but save your money and buy a good plane, or even spend the same on a used Stanley. Mine are in the boxes as spares. They aren’t worth taking the time to sell them.

4. Gary says:

Agree. Save your money and buy a Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or other high quality new plane, or buy a pre 50s Stanley or Miller Falls etc.

5. fred says:

Re Gary Says

I agree with tyou recommendation on Veritas – but not on Miller Falls – which were second in quality to the Stanley Bedrock series – and more like Stanley’s second line (also Bailey style) planes.
    Old Record planes are also worth a look.

6. Andy says:

I agree – as far as function, Groz (and other modern planes at similar prices) are the bottom of the barrel. But I’d like to comment more on the aesthetics of the “handle”. You say it’s “pretty” and it “grabs you”? My first thought is that it’s uninteresting wood with some dark goopy stain that obscures any natural beauty that wood might have had. Any Veritas plane, with their bubinga handles, are FAR prettier than this – not even on the same level. Lie Nielsen are another step up the prettiness scale – wow – love the bronze and cherry! And their cocobolo option – gorgeous. But even beyond that, take some time to wander around the websites of Konrad Sauer (http://www.sauerandsteiner.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=19) or Wayne Anderson (http://www.andersonplanes.com, click “gallery” then “smoothers”), to name a few. Now THERE’s some drool-inducing wood and metal!

7. Kris says:

If you drool over nice plane totes and knobs, take a look at this: http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/images/handles_4-28-07_003.jpg