Jawhorse

Take a bench vice, mount it to a portable sawhorse, and pump a bunch of growth hormones into your creation, and you might get something like Rockwell’s Jawhorse. One main feature sets the Jawhorse apart: the foot-pedal-operated jaws. The jaws can apply one ton of clamping force to objects up to 37″ wide, such as a full 36″ door.

Operating the jaws with the foot pedal leaves your hands free to wrestle materials up to 220 lbs into the clamping jaws. When your load is clamped down tight, a locking switch secures the jaws.

Three folding legs support the Jawhorse, two of which feature stirrups, for holding down the Jawhorse with your feet, and mounting holes for securing it to the floor. When you’re finished with your task, the Jawhorse folds to a pretty compact 30″ x 14″ x 14″, and you can roll it around on its built-in wheel.

Rockwell has planned several accessories for the Jawhorse, including log-holding jaws for sawing or cutting with a chainsaw, jaws for securing welding work, and a bag for holding tools and accessories.

The 43-pound Jawhorse retails for $200, but you can get it for $180 shipped free from Amazon.

Jawhorse [Official Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon(B0018MRUN4) [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

15 Responses to Meet Rockwell’s Jawhorse

1. Robert Dezendorf says:

Looks like a “Knock-off” of the Triton Super Jaws that is sold by Amazon.com

Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench
    Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench
    Buy new: $169.99

2. eschoendorff says:

That’s actually a pretty neat tool… might have to look into one of those…

3. Hank says:

Looks and sounds like the Triton. I bought the Triton one 3 or more years ago. Tried to use it 3 times and gave up. Crapola.

Idea looks o.k., but the Triton is worthless.

4. Gary says:

“Operating the jaws with the foot pedal leaves your hands free to wrestle materials up to 220 lbs into the clamping jaws”

I’m going to put 220 lbs on something that weighs less than 1/4th of that and then use my foot to apply pressure to the whole mess balanced on 3 legs? Pass.

5. Donny B says:

Thousands of years of woodworking and metal working = billions of dollars
    4 jaw vise, one metal working vise and a bench = $450
    Coming up with a new “Clamp system” that we can con some poor suckers into buying = Priceless……

Save your cash, ………….. Build your bench

6. Jim says:

Might be useful for some stuff at jobsites, lightweight, easily portable, but in the workshop, I’ll go with a good workbench.

7. Rocko says:

The JawHorse kicks A! I use it almost every day, built tough and versatile as all heck, I love it.

8. Van says:

Got one for Christmas. So far I’ve used it to crush aluminum cans. Works great for that!

9. Stu's Shed says:

I’ve been using (and demonstrating in the end) the Triton stuff for a few years, and have owned some for a lot longer. I have about 3 or 4 of the SuperJaws, and they are an exceptional tool. (I got my first SuperJaws about 8 years ago now, still going strong)

I’ve just gotten a JawHorse to review as well, and have spent some time with the design engineers (who also designed the SuperJaws), and this is definitely the SuperJaws all grown up. Stronger, and heftier, larger jaws, and is superb.

The wide stance of the 3 legs makes it very stable, even for significantly off-centre loads, and a tripod is ideal for uneven ground for obvious reasons.

It is certainly not a lightweight tool – reading comments from people who haven’t experienced one of these in the flesh makes for amusing reading – thanks for the laughs!

10. Jackson Construction says:

As a General Contractor it is rare when you find a tool that actually does what is says it will do. This is one of the best tools for the money, it is an exceptional but at $170. I bought 1 just to try and now I will buy 3 more. Thanks Jawhorse.

11. roger says:

Actually the Triton super jaws is the knock off, it only hold up to 220 lbs of weight, and the jawhorse hold 600 + pounds and it alot more sturdy then than the super jaws.
    Super jaws does not have as much clamping power as the Jawhorse and is also not as versatile as the Jawhorse.

IF YOU ASK ME THE TRITON LOOKS LIKE THE FISCHER PRICE VERSION OF THE JAWHORSE. I’V USED BOTH I KNOW.

ROGER

12. Pete says:

The Jawhorse does what it says great tool and out in the field or shop ,I have not used any of the other atachments that they sell,but the from the short time since I have purchased it ,it performed very well

13. Mark says:

I bought one of these after using someone else’s. It’s nice and solid.
    It’s handy to clamp a miter saw into it and put two adjustable height sawhoses on each side for work supports.

One tip: I put some ski wax on the metal rails for the clamping system as soon as I got it. This has kept the paint intact, and made adjustments very easy.