stringtrimmer450.jpg

Toolmonger featured the Ryobi “Expand-It” system a while back, and now it looks like Poulan may have come out with a similar product line. I can’t substantiate these claims, but according to this retail site Poulan’s PP125 split-shaft string trimmer will accept attachments from the following lines: WeedEater, Craftsman, Ryobi, John Deere, and Homelite.

With street pricing starting at about $100 the investment isn’t too bad. And if these attachments really are interchangeable, you can buy into a certain brand’s system with a lot less risk — even if that company suddenly stops supporting the system, there’s a good chance you’ll still be able to find parts.

Is anybody out there already using a mix-and-match set? Are you having any problems? Let us know in comments.
Split-Shaft String Trimmer [Poulan]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Poulan Pro Trimmer Likes Attachments

1. Kurt Schwind says:

A couple of summers ago we had a big storm that knocked down some big branches.
    I borrowed a Poulan chain-saw attachment and slapped it on my Ryobi trimmer with no problems. Worked great. I’m a big fan of these interchangable parts.

2. Mike Garner says:

I had a Ryobi trimmer with several attachments. Few years back the Ryobi died, so I replaced it with a Craftsman unit. All of my old Ryobi attachments still fit.

3. Brent says:

I have a 6 year old ryobi, and just bought a Poulan edger for it. Works great.

4. Noah Sachs says:

Anyone know of a snow blower attachment? I need a handy little snow blower that isn’t electric.

5. MIG-ateur says:

I originally bought a Ryobi trimmer, edger, blower and vacuum. Then replaced the edger with a John Deere model. When the Ryobi power unit croaked, I replaced it with a Troy-Bilt, so I have quite a mixture of attachments and all work well together.

6. Kevin says:

The square peg driven, 1 1/4″ convertible shaft is kind of an industry standard for any brand produced by either MTD or Husqvarna manufacturers. This is going to include pretty much 90% of the brands out there. Toro, Troy-bilt, Craftsman, Echo, Homelite, Husqvarna (brand), Yard Man, Yard Machines, John Deere, and Weedeater.

So just check the original manufacturer. If it’s Husqvarna or MTD, you’re set to mix and match.

Kevin T. Pace