LiquidStainlessSteel450.jpg

Venturing into “As Seen On TV” territory, I found a fun finish. This two-part stainless-steel-doped epoxy can turn all your furniture into the space-age stainless I keep seeing.

It’s an “automotive grade” finish, and the FAQ answers all questions in terms of what you can and can’t do to your car’s finish.  For example, Liquid Stainless Steel isn’t suitable for countertops, because automotive grade finishes aren’t rated for chopping and cutting.  But if you’re looking to put a cool finish on your project and a car finish would be a suitable match, or overkill, you might want to take a look.

They sell the base and top coats separately, and the smallest bottles are six ounces.  A pint each of the base and top coats will cover 50 square feet and cost $42.

Liquid Stainless Steel [Corporate Site]

6 Responses to Liquid Stainless Steel

1. Keith Melton says:

looks interesting. My house came with a crappy dishwasher and stove so those got replaced with nice new stainless ones, but the fridge is white but not old enough to replace. This would totally make my fridge not annoying. Anyone use this stuff?

2. BC says:

Keith, have you ever considered Rustoleum’s Appliance Epoxy in a rattle can? They make a stainless steel finish, its nice and easy to spray, and leaves a nice finish (for a rattle can, anyway). Just make sure you shake for at least 2 min – it’s very metallic and if you don’t mix the solids with the rest of the can, you’ll get a fuzzy, matte finish. For $4 and change a can, it’d probably be a lot cheaper!

3. Keith Melton says:

I will have the check that out. Thanks for the tip BC.

4. Brau says:

It may be nit-picking, but that finish does not look anything like S. Steel to me. It just looks like a nice metallic flake with a matte lustre finish giving it a sort of sand blasted appearance.

Kinda cool: yes
    S.Steel: no

And yes, Rustoleum does have some really neat finishes. I used their “hammered steel” finish on my exposed old brick chimney and the result was spectacular.

5. Chuck Cage says:

I’ll admit to using their the Rustoleum “hammered” finish paints on some quick welding projects because it’s thick and hides BS well… 🙂

6. BC says:

Brau: No matter how hard you try, you’re not going to precisely replicate the look of brushed stainless with any coating; I don’t care what it is. The Rustoleum stainless steel rattle can paint, if done right, looks decent, and for someone who’s just trying to squeeze through, it might be an acceptable solution. Personally? I use it for machinery because you don’t have to prime beforehand.