carnauba450.jpg

In response to our post on using leftover candles to finish woodturnings, Toolmonger Frank Townend asked whether the candles have to be beeswax.  The answer is essentially “No,” but let’s take a look at some more detail.  I went looking for descriptions of the different types of wax finishes and found this on WoodTurningVideosPlus.com: “Beeswax produces a nice, subtle satin luster,” and “Carnauba produces a very high gloss.”  They also mention microcrystalline wax as another option.

On multiple sites, I found people using the carnauba wax on pens and pipes that they’ve turned, but I had trouble finding good sources of carnauba wax — I’ve linked to what I found. If anyone knows of good sources for woodturning wax or other finishes, let us know in comments.

Carnauba Wax 1/2-lb for $20 [Woodcraft]
Carnauba Wax 2-oz for $8 [Cup O’ Joe’s]
Woodturning Waxes [Wood Turning Videos Plus]

8 Responses to Carnauba Lathe Wax

1. Jason says:

Without even looking, I’m sure Craft Supply has it.

Jason

2. Frank Hicinbothem says:

Rockler and Lee Valley both carry several different kinds. I’m partial to a product called “Orange Wax” which is a mixture of carnauba, beeswax, and citrus oil. I use it as a wood finish at the lathe and as a finish wax over varnish on most projects.

3. tmib_Seattle says:

Dunno how well it would work on wood, but for a coating on the stuff I blacksmith, I use the following:

1 cup Johnson’s Floor Paste Wax
    1 cup “beeswax”
    1 cup turpentine
    1 cup boiled linseed oil.

Melt the wax down and then mix in the turpentine and oil. Let it cool to a paste. I apply it to my blacksmithed work while the metal is still warm. The recipe is one I got online and originally called for 2 tablespoons of “Japan Drier” but I couldn’t find the stuff and found it to be unneeded.

Now the main reason I bring this up, is that while “beeswax” is expensive at craft stores, a lower grade of the stuff (with some additives to make it sticky) can be found in the form of wax toilet rings; the things you use to make a seal around the base of a toilet when mounting it. They run about $2 for a large ring, and work perfectly well as a wax source for the paste mix above. Again, it seems to me that the same stuff would work well as a paste wax for wood, but that’s just theory at this point for me.

–TMIB

4. tmib_Seattle says:

Oh also, when I’ve put wax coatings on briar tobacco pipes, I used “Mothers Gold” carnuba wax. It comes in a can at the auto parts store and is used for waxing cars. It’s a hard cake that you rub a rag on to get the wax off before applying it to the wood.

–TMIB

5. Frank Townend says:

Thanks J.R. et. al. The nicest thing about bowl finishing is it can be down while the bowl is turning. Hold the block of wax against a slow-turning bowl and then buff. The heat of friction between the bowl and wax makes for a nice finish. I was in my local Woodcraft last weekend and the (always) helpful sales associate had me try to scratch the blocks of Beeswax and Carnauba waxes. I could make a nice dent in the Beeswax, but the Carnauba was like a rock. The Carnauba requires more work, but it gives a more durable finish.

6. J.R. Bluett says:

Frank, I’m glad to even help a little. It looks like I got smoked on finding the bars of the carnauba wax though. Thanks everyone for the assist!

7. Frank Townend says:

I just want to say it.

Toolmonger is a great site. Thanks to all who make it a joy to visit!

8. Aggie says:

The best finish I’ve used on pens that I’ve turned is Myland’s Friction Polish. You can find it at Woodcraft, it comes as a liquid, you apply it to a cotton cloth and hold it too the workpiece. Makes cocobolo look great. (of course cocobolo looks great pretty much all the time!)