BackupSumpPump.jpg

A water detector in the basement will save you a major headache — unless you’re not home to hear it. Leave on vacation for a week, and you could come home to a dead battery in your water detector, thousands of dollars of water damage, and a floating sofa. Like your basic water detector, a backup sump pump sounds a nice little alarm, but it also does something about the problem.

This pump from Wayne will sit quietly, charging a deep-cycle battery, until the power goes out and the water rises. Then the ESP25 system sounds an alarm and begins pumping water at up to 3,300 gallons per hour at zero feet, and over 1,000 GPH at 15 feet. It may not handle a full hurricane, but it should save you from most flooding problems.  At $220, it might pay for itself with reduced home insurance premiums alone.

Backup Sump Pump [Wayne]
Wayne [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to Wayne Backup Sump Pump

1. MikeT says:

For the ultra paranoid, you can also find backup sump pumps that run off city water and use no electricity at all. Though I’d hate to see that first post-hurricane water bill…

2. robd says:

For $220 I can buy a pretty nice UPS for existing standard sump pump.

3. Wheels17 says:

I guess I must be ultra-paranoid. I have one of the water ones installed in my house. I’ve tested it a couple of times, and it seems to work well. Never tested the consumption, as I’ve always been around to connect the generator when we’ve had a power failure. It’s reputed to take about 1 gallon per gallon pumped, less with more pressure.

The good side of the water power is that there’s no dependence on a battery that may be old and dead by the time it needs to run.

The bad side is that you need to leave the water on if you’re gone for an extended period of time, so there’s an increase in the risk of a “water event”. Someday I’ll separate the sump pump and house supplies….

4. bowdesnki says:

Please make some suggestions for UPS.
    I can’t see a downside except if the main sump pump fails, then it would be good to have the battery powered/backup model kick in.
    Especially if I was not home to hear the leakfrogs.

5. Zathrus says:

A sump pump (or any other device with a motor) may not work off a UPS since they’re expecting true AC current and not the false sine wave generated by most UPS’s. You can get a UPS that generates a true sine, but last time I looked (several years ago) they were vastly more than $200. An order of magnitude more at least.

And note — if it doesn’t like the square-ish wave output by the UPS it may still run… it’ll just die a horrible death relatively quickly. Which kind of defeats the purpose of a backup.

6. bob says:

The best pumps on the market are made by Zoeller.

Consider pumps with backup power supply in case the house power fails.

Zoeller Company makes battery back-up pumps:

The also have a pump that uses the house’s water system pressure if power fails. No battery required:

7. Andrew says:

Since a UPS is basically not really supported on Windows Home Server….

Hasn’t everyone notice in how WHS needs everyone to create third party solutions just to enable missing basic functions?

WHS wants everyone else to build their product for them, with third party add-ins while paying Microsoft to support their own product!