doh1.jpg

File this one under Reckless. This guy was just asking for it, and — guess what? — he got it. I still don’t understand why he had to stand on the top step; ladder manufacturers print “DO NOT STAND” up there for this exact reason. Even so, I’ve committed that sin a few times myself, but I did so with extreme caution. Fortunately the guy wasn’t hurt — or was he?

9 Responses to Doh! Yet Another Ladder Blooper

1. Stephen says:

How is it that these fools always seem to capture their stupidity on camera. I think that the government must have a division that identifies “morons” and then assigns an agent to videotape all their activities to be used in PSA’s, and Funniest home Video submissions…

Or at least there should be a government agency that does that.

2. Peter says:

That’s gotta hurt – pride and ass.

3. Chris says:

Wow, where to begin…

1) Don’t EVER stand on the top step of a stepladder unless someone is holding it, and then only in special circumstances, like “wearing a climbing harness and roped an immovable object” kind of circumstances.
    2) Why are you prying the gutter off a building by standing on a ladder that’s *maybe* the same height as the building? Either get a longer ladder or get on the roof.
    3) What kind of idiot pries a gutter off a building such that it breaks loose and knocks over the ladder he’s standing on? This goes along with #2; just get on the roof and avoid this ladder nonsense entirely.
    4) When it’s obvious the ladder is going down, just jump off. This guy was about six or eight feet up. A fall from six or eight feet that you have a fraction of a second to prepare for and land on your feet isn’t going to hurt you. A fall from six or eight feet in which you just ride the ladder down and land awkwardly on your side like that is going to break bones, emphasis on plural.

I hope the guy wasn’t seriously hurt, but I highly suspect he spent time in a cast after this.

cl

4. 5) When you’re 12 feet up a hornet out of a hole in the gutter and makes for your head, try not to step back and scream like a little girl as you plummet downward.

5. mike t says:

I have to wonder if he was not standing on teh top rung, could the ladder still be knocked over by the fallilng gutter?

However if have to agree with the other poster to stand on teh roof.

6. Chris says:

@Patrick Austin: Sounds similar to something that happened to me about three or four years ago. I was up in a big hemlock tree at the corner of our house trimming some branches, and I bumped the branch on which a large Vespula vulgaris nest was hanging.

They did not like that one bit.

Four or five of the wasps immediately turned in my direction and came after me, stinging me on the top of my head as I beat feet down the tree trunk and toward the roof. I sprinted Matrix-style across the roof and jumped off the house at the opposite corner.

I went back that night with a pole saw and knocked down their nest, then set it on fire.

cl

7. Chris W says:

The Naval Safety Center has dozens of photos of people doing unsafe things- many of them involve ladders.

8. Ron says:

This dude was doomed from the start, so many mistakes and so little skill

9. kevin says:

LOL….natural selection at its finest…