tools-2go.jpg

It’s hard to get a job done without the right tools, but I’ve often found it close to impossible to get even simple tasks done with no tools. So what do you do if you find yourself faced with a job that requires a few hand tools, and you’re stuck with no tools? Believe it or not, your local grocery store might be able to help you out when you’re in a bind.

A grocery store might not carry anything but the simplest tools, and those tools’ll be poorly made and cheap at best, but they’ll work. You can get yourself out of a lot of different kinds of trouble with just a few screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, and three or four types of pliers.

What you’ll find will most likely be overpriced for what they are, but just keep the “Something is better than nothing” mindset, and you’ll get through it. Also, if it’s late at night and there’s not a Wal-Mart around, you might not have any other choice.

8 Responses to What To Do In A Pinch With No Tools

1. David says:

When I was a TD in Maine I often found myself needing shop supplies on Sunday. I was totally stoked to find our local Sears carried welding rods – who knew.

2. SlowJoeCrow says:

That’s an Albertson’s supermarket, and the red labels are clearance items.

3. DaveS says:

So let me see if I got this straight:

What I should do in a pinch, when I have no tools, is get some tools?

I understand now where I’ve gone wrong all these years. I’m looking forward to future articles on what to do in a pinch when you have no paint, and one I’m sure we’ll all pay close attention to the article on what to do in a pinch when your car has no gas.

(Apologies if this seems snarky. I’ve been working on a big project and I’m short on sleep. Any advice there?)

4. Sean O'Hara says:

Rock on Dave, bring on the heckle man. In fact, when I was caught without tools the day I took that pic I was having a sleepless, snark filled day myself.

I felt like a total moron being caught without tools since that is one of my big things – as you might imagine.

5. ToolFreak says:

I’ve often bought many of the clearance items (5pc wrench sets, pliers, etc for cheeeap) at these stores or department stores so I have at least basic tools around in a drawer, backpack, or something. I keep a well-stocked toolbox in my vehicle anyway, but for those rare occasions when I don’t have any access to tools, it’s a fair bet theres a walmart within driving distance. They even let you return it after you’re done if you keep the UPC and your receipt…

6. mike t says:

8 min drive will bring me to lowes home depot and sears which stay open till 10 or 9, 25 min drive during normal hours brings me in range of dozens of specialty stores. That being said i have run to the local ace hardware store to grab a drill bit or a pair of pliers because they were only 2 min away.

7. Bart'sDad says:

I know when I’m traveling for any reason, I always look -up Walmart locations and hours of operation. I’m not a big fan of Walmart,but they usually have something that will get you by and are quite often open 24 hours.

8. kyle says:

walmart carries stanley tools so if you need tools that wont break on the second use that may be a good idea to get them