Popener450.jpg

Some Toolmongers can open a bottle with practically anything: this Appalachian Trail pocket knife, for instance, or the edge of a bar. For myself, the choice of tool is critical — so I opt for a pope bottle opener, which makes a great conversation piece as well as a functional answer to my need for refreshment. If you want a popener for yourself or for your favorite beer drinker, you can find at least one online.

Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Popener

1. mike says:

A friend of mine brought me back one of those from Rome in 2002 or so. Since then, then center “coin” has popped out a few times (necessitating some Gorilla Glue mending…). It still remains one of the most oft-used tools in our home, with it’s own little place right in the front of our silverware drawer. Funny to see the exact same thing turn up on the ‘Monger…

– mike

2. MikeT says:

That is so weird. Not only do my wife and I have one of these, but we also call it the “popener”.

3. J.R. Bluett says:

Yeah, my wife has the JP2 and the B16 so far. She was on the Rome campus for her University before JP2 died, and I had to finagle getting one for B16. It turned out to be the gift of the decade for her too! I imagine we’ll probably collect the “Popes of our lives” set at this rate!

4. Tom Jackson says:

What’s the general quality level on the Appalachian Trail knives? I’ve seen
    them at Lowe’s, but they’re always in their plastic clamshells, so it’s hard to
    tell what the construction is like.

5. J.R. Bluett says:

I’ve had my Appalachian Trail for a month now, and use it all the time, on clamshells very often. It seems to be holding the edge well, and I haven’t snapped it from prying things with it. I give a thumbs up so far. I’ll have to see if I can get a critique from Sean, he’s the one that handed it to me. I’ve always carried a Swiss Army in the past.

6. I prefer the side of lighter method…

7. Matt Scorer says:

I too thought that I had coined the term popener – until proved wrong by google.
    I believe I may have one of the largest collections of popeners in the world with 5 different popeners!