micro-die-grinder.jpg

With Harbor Freight’s micro die grinder, you can grind or sand in hard to reach places, carve something intricate, or just polish the scratches out of your iPod.  The 1/8″ collet will accept most Dremel bits for all sorts of jobs. It’s definitely worth grabbing one, even if you only use it a couple times a year to sand down the burs on your safety glasses.

The variable-speed micro grinder can spin up to 56,000 RPM, which is 20,000 RPM higher than your average Dremel. Rear exhaust keeps the air out of your work. The grinder set includes a 47″ air hose, inline oiler, brass coupler, and two collet wrenches. It all comes in a crappy nice plastic case, too.

If we’ve said it once, we’ve said it a thousand times: keep your cheap-ass HF pneumatic tools oiled, and they’ll last you a long time.  Pick one up at Harbor Freight for $15.

Micro Die Grinder [Harbor Freight]

7 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: $15 HF Micro Die Grinder

1. Jim Little says:

I’ve had this exact model for 5 years. I use it often and oil it often. Still running well. Of course, if I win the lottery I can finally get a Dotco

2. fred says:

Re Jim Little Says:

Don’t have much application for die grinders – but I second the your reference to DOTCO. We have several of their sister company (CLECO) pneumatic hammers – and they just keep going and going.

3. eschoendorff says:

I have one of these and it works well… but the air is so cold coming out of it that I have had problems with the thing icing up. i need to install a dryer on my compressor… to run my $15 tool LOL!

4. Marshall says:

The only thing I don’t like about this tools is that it can not use a 1/4″ collet. I have a good size collection of 1/8″ bits from various dremel projects, but stepping up to 1/4″ has a lot more options in grinding and woodworking bits. I guess it’s not considered powerful enough, but my 1/8hp foredom will accept a 1/4″ shank and has no problems with most jobs.

5. monkeyboy says:

Hmmm, got side tracked by your comment about icing & needing a dryer. Some time back I saw a page that had a DIY dryer. It was just several pieces of iron pipe a couple feet long mounted to the wall, with 90’s at the end of each run, connecting to the run below. 6 or 8 runs. The input was at the top, on the bottom just before the output was a drip leg ( a tee with a couple foot long drop leg, with a drain valve at the bottom). Well, after googling around for a couple hours & finding lots of other interesting stuff, I couldn’t find it.
    I did find something similar:
    Actually a pretty nice design, too.

I’m not an artist, but I put together a drawing of the one I was originally thinking of:

6. robb godshaw says:

i had this for 2 years or so and it fell apart. then again, i was using it as a Dremel and i put it through a lot… too little torque to drive the Dremel cutting wheel. too fast fro the sanding drums.

7. dan says:

I purchased this air grinder because electric dremels kept burning up. I still have the air grinder and it is the schiznit. It does get cold but it still works great.