FastCap Lefty-Righty Tape Measure

Reading a tape measure upside-down is a good way to make errors, so FastCap makes a tape measure in their ProCarpenter line that reads both left-to-right and right-to-left — you don’t have to twist your neck to read the scale.

The Lefty/Righty’s black and red scale contrasts nicely with the heavy-duty 1″ white blade. Like the rest of the tapes in the ProCarpenter line, this tape features an erasable notepad, thumb and finger locks, built-in pencil sharpener, rubber casing, and heavy-duty belt clip.

The 16′ Lefty/Righty tape retails for $8, and the 25′ retails for $11.

Lefty/Righty Tape [FastCap]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
16-Foot Tape [Rockler]
16-Foot Tape [McFeely’s]
25-Foot Tape [McFeely’s]

8 Responses to An Ambidextrous Tape Measure

1. Teacher says:

I got one of those at Woodcraft a couple years ago and it’s a great tape. I don’t use the writing surface that much but being able to easily read in both directions is really handy.

2. Dano says:

I have this as well. I’m not good at the fractions so thats why I bought it =)

3. Lew says:

I was very frustrated with normal tape measures that read Left to Right. Being right handed, the tape measure was always ‘upside down’ when holding the measure with my left hand and marking with my right hand.

After some search, I found that Lee Valley had R to L tapes. I bought one and really liked it.

Then I found these FastCap tapes that provide R/L and L/R on the same measure. FANTASTIC! It is such a simple idea that was a l-o-n-g time coming. I have since bought a 16′ and 25′ FastCap tape.

The black/red scales are legible and easy to use.

4. Dave says:

I too bought one from Woodcraft (last year). It is a great help for people who can’t read a normal tape’s markings and being left handed, a regular tape was fine for me. It really is helpful to give a young person a tape and have them accurately measure and cut material, even though a friend told me that using my FastCap tape hurt his brain- there is too much to read, he said!

5. mike john says:

Can anyone tell me if this is available in a metric version, and if so where from

6. Greg says:

where can I buya fastcap righty lefty tape in 16 and 25 foot.

7. Bruce ewell says:

I’m a true left handed person and this still doesn’t fix the problem I’m having……THE BELT CLIP IS STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE!!! THINK ABOUT IT

• Joseph smith says:

I remove the belt clip, completely and keep the tape measure floating around in my work area OR in the storage pocket at the front center of my carpenters tool
      Belt. With the belt clip removed, it is easier to insert or remove the tape measure from the pocket on my tool belt. Righty or lefty, doesn’t matter!