hobby-knifeset.jpg

Around 17 or 18, the age when most kids trade in their model cars for real ones, they also put away their hobby knives in exchange for shiny mechanic’s tools. But if you ever want to rejoin the model crafting ranks, you can grab a full set of hobby knives for less than you’d pay for one of the old Revel models you used to put together with ’em.

Northern Tools sells this 35-piece set of hobby knives and blade attachments in a nice wooden box for $10. The set includes three different handles, two saw blades, six shaping blades, 17 cutting blades, three awl points, an edge trim guide, tweezers, a mini-planer, and a sanding block — you know, all that stuff you used to ignore when building models as a kid.

35-Piece Hobby Knife Kit [Northern Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

6 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: $10 Hobby Knife Kit

1. Benjamen Johnson says:

I’m not sure about the quality this kit, it might be just fine, but be careful buying cheap knock-off x-acto kits.

I bought a cheap knock-off x-acto set and found it was pretty useless. The blades were about half as thick as x-acto blades and bent really easily. The chuck or mandril or whatever it’s called that holds the knife blades were plastic. It easily snapped before the blade was actually tight.

I ended up buying this set.

2. seaphoto says:

Avoid like the plague. While I am all in favor of cheap tools when they work, I have never seen cheap hobby knife sets perform as well as the genuine X-acto. Benjamin’s comments are right on the money.

I have had good luck with replacement blades from Tower Hobbies – they sell the standard knife blade for the No. 1 handle in bulk packs of 100 – thick, sharp and they hold up as well as the X-Acto. But for the most part, I stick with X-acto

3. forlerm98022 says:

what i like is that it comes in a real box not some plastic junk that brakes the first time you drop it . few things worse to me than a bunch of razer sharp blades floating around.it got every thing my 80 dollar set has but mine came with 4 different balsa wood saw blades

4. eschoendorff says:

Beware of these cheap knives…. the blades will quickly rust. The quality just isn’t that good – which can be very dangerous when working with these tools! Pay attention!

5. TL says:

I actually have a 20+ year old X-acto version of the kit above. Blades have been replaced over time, but the handles themselves work just like they did when I was a kid.

Didn’t realize how old it was until I started doing the math. Wish I worked as well as I did 20 years ago.

6. fred says:

My Xacto kit is older and has some fine backsaw blades too- works fine. It was a birthday present in the early ’60’s