podcastLJ.jpg

A few weekends ago I got restless — Norm’s project was a rerun, Bob’s old house episode was even older than me, and there weren’t any other good woodworking shows on. Trying to get my fix, I came across Woodworking Online’s podcasts and the new Woodsmith Shop show.

Woodworking Online’s in-depth podcasts (33 of ’em so far) feature different aspects of tools and woodworking — they’re actually recordings of seminars done at the Woodsmith store in Des Moines, IA. The different presenters do a good job of going over the concept of tools and demonstrating their use.

Woodsmith has recently branched out beyond just podcasts with Woodsmith Shop, a public television program that’s available in some parts of the country. Each episode features different woodworking projects, and you can download free plans to go with each episode.

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to satisfy my woodworking video addiction with podcasts and free online plans until I can get to a TV market that has the new show. Have any Toolmongers had a chance to see it? Post in comments if you have.

Woodworking Podcasts [Woodworking Online]
Woodsmith Shop [Official Site]

12 Responses to I Want My Woodworking TV

1. Dugbee says:

I just started saving the Woodsmith Shop on my PVR. I really like it so far. I watch Norm for entertainment, but his shop (of course) and topics are quite beyond my novice skills.

The Woodsmith Shop has things I can actually run down to the basement and try (using a drill press to cut mortises) and they give a nice selection of “you can do it this way” (squaring off the mortise with a chisel) as well as “this way works too” (rounding the tenon to fit in a mortise w/o squaring it off).

It’s simple and approachable. When comparing the scope of projects, I liken Woodsmith Shop to Ask This Old House, whereas Norm is in the This Old House realm.

2. Brian says:

I think we all know the woodworking-TV jones quite well, especially here in NC where PBS completely preempts Norm and TOH for their month-long fundraising binges seemingly every other month.

During one of these dry spells recently I discovered The Wood Whisperer.

The site has a blog and a lot of good stuff, including video podcasts; I like the videos because the host has really nice but still fairly normal equipment. His shop is what most of us aspire to.

3. Jason says:

I like the Wood Whisperer too, you should also check out Woodtalk Online and The Modern Woodshop.

Jason

4. Marc says:

Thanks for the mention fellas. For anyone interested in all the woodworking podcasts available on the web, I have set up a directory-style site at http://thewoodwhisperernetwork.com

The video sites are specifically listed at http://thewoodwhisperernetwork.com/category/video/

We have conversations about this all the time on my blog and unfortunately, it looks like the only shows that we’ll see on TV are the foo foo decorating variety. But I think this is a blessing in disguise. Take a look at some of the shows listed on that page and you will see what i mean. The variety of videos available these days is pretty amazing. And none of these shows have the restrictions of television. So we can finally have the details we rarely see on TV. Once you catch up on all the videos and blogs Dan, I think you will join us in saying, “TV shows? Who needs TV shows? ” 🙂

marc

5. stephen colbert says:

I also DVR the Woodsmith Shop and Woodworks with David Marks. I sit down and watch them together once a week. Watching them one after another is really weird b/c I feel like Marks is in the realm of fantasy land woodworking like when I finally get a house and build a separate woodshop out back. Whereas the Woodsmith Shop brakes down the common tasks and things like how to use your bench plane and how to maintain it. WS seems more practical for me b/c I have no real woodworking power tools.

6. Gapsard de Coligny says:

There is also the woodworking channel, an internet TV: http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/

A little repetitive, so good for slow learners… like me…

7. robd says:

The wood whisperer podcasts IMHO are actually much better than many “broadcast” shows. Sure, it’s one guy reading a script, but the video quality is superb.
    Wood online has good podcasts as well, though someone needs to remind them to cut their mics when they run their power tools. My ears still hurt.

8. robd says:

If anyone from the woodworking channel.com bothers to read this, they should know they will never have me as an audience until they give up on proprietary browser-only video.
    We want to watch video on our terms, not yours.

9. Dinkjs says:

The only woodworking show worth watching is The Woodwright Shop….NO POWER TOOLS USED…..but here in the Dallas Fort Worth area we dont get it so I resort to watching seasons 26 and 27 on the website

10. Chris W says:

Dinkjs is right.
    Roy Underhill of the Woodwright’s Shop is the best! He mixes a little humor with a lot of knowledge and presents it with with contagious enthusiasm. He is the real deal.

11. MikeT says:

Norm occasionally inspires me, but the Woodsmith Shop has actually changed the way I do projects. Rather than taking a project from start to finish, they’ll spend an entire show on a single topic, like simple joinery, or a particular tool. And rather than presenting a single viewpoint, each member of the cast gives their own take, and at the end they sit down to talk it out, sometimes even sniping at each other a bit over it.

I highly recommend it.

12. Rick F. says:

For those of you that may be or are interested in the Shopsmith hardware or woodworking in general, there are some really nice SawDust Sessions available via the web as well — done live or archived.. Some of them are specific to SS machines but others are not and can be adapted for those of you with non SS hardware..