snap-on sale

Head over to Snap-on’s website for a killer deal. Buy a 71-piece 3/8″ general service set for $300, and get your choice of a 51-piece 1/4″ socket set; 10-piece mini-pliers and 7-piece screwdriver set; or the Lock-a-Socket tray and LED pocket flip light. Each of the three options normally retails for around $130.  The offer ends June 30.

Snap-on [Corporate Site]
[Snap-on]

6 Responses to Dealmonger: Buy A Snap-on Set, Get One Free

1. eschoendorff says:

Those Blue Point tools are nice, but $300 seems pretty steep for a set of tools made in China or Taiwan. The freebies make it a sweeter deal… but for tools made “over there, ” cross check GearWrench and Genius tools before you plunk down the cash for these Blue Points…

2. Old Donn says:

I have to admit, when I first got this email, I was tempted to throw down. But eschoendorff’s right, it is pretty steep, where ever it’s made. Unless you’re a pro and need stuff this high end, $300 will buy a lot more tools than this at Sears.

3. AJ says:

I have to wonder if this is another sign of the times with the demise of the mobile tool industry and their way to offset their losses by focusing more on internet sales. Our Matco and Mac guys folded up shop over a year ago and Snappy hung on up till last month. He admitted the cost of operating was way too high, his prices topped out while his customers continue to feel the economic pinch and turned to the internet and local retail stores for tool needs. Newer techs are also a bit sharper with their finances, internet savvy and smart enough to avoid being roped into the weekly truck account payment leash.

I work for a vehicle maintenance contractor on a U.S. Government project and recently we’ve been able to purchase Snap-on products off uncle sam’s GSA contract with a very handsome discount than what Snappy sells for. Even Snappy adminted these prices are lower than what he pays! But it’s company moves like this along with their internet sales that leads one to belive that selling off the streets is losing ground.

And if Snappy is selling at these prices to uncle sam and still making a profit, make me wonder how much of a mark up were we really paying?

I still have to laugh at the mechanics perception of tools being made in China and Taiwan. It’s okay for their cell phones, HDTV’s, computers, apparel, and even the diagnostic tools used in the automotive industry. Yet, let it be a simple piece of metal forged into a hand tool and stamped from “over there” and mechanics get their knickers all wadded in a knot. I think this was brought on by decades of brainwashing by Mac and Snap-On sales pitches. And yes, I was once brainwashed in my younger days. But, it’s what we are, Americans that want the most for our buck and unfortunately being made here often means paying prices higher than we can afford. I’m not proud of it – would hate to get into a conflict with China as they could literally shut us off.

I know the stuff out of Harbour Freight lacks any ANSI and quality standards of the big names like Snap On, Mac, Proto, and Craftsman but come on, you think these companies want to tarnish their image by producing crap? What kind of profit will they make if they’re constantly replacing this due to warranty issues?

I don’t see anyone shying away from buying Ingersol Rand and DeWalt tools yet mechanics will still swear by their quality even though they too are made “over there”.

But, if you’re really bent on Made in the USA tools but can’t afford the likes of Snappy and Mac, then maybe look to Martin Tools. They’ve been around for decades, offer a lifetime warranty and are easy on the pockets.

4. Fred says:

Re AJ Says:

Amen to what you say about Martin Sprocket and Gear. We’ve used their service wrenches and their flare wrenches for years.

5. Joey says:

AJ…I’m with you there. As an aircraft mechanic, many of my co-workers are all hung up on tools made in the USA and yet, I they seem to be waiting each week for Snappy to come by and replace those high dollar broken tools. And sometimes they’re waiting an extra week or two because the truck needs to order one.

I prefer Made in the USA because I’m retired military and have a strong passion for America. But I also like not having to turn my paycheck over to the tool truck guys each week so most of my stuff is Proto and Martin. Most of the Proto tools are USA but some comes out of China. But who cares, it gets the job done and I’m saving money, not always broke. And if something does break, I call Grainger and UPS pulls up the next day with my replacement. No questions asked, no shipping charges. Later that week, someone from Proto or Grainger will come by and pick up my broken tool. No hassles, no fuss – it doesn’t get any easier than that.

6. Justin says:

the blue point brand is made in Canada.