IN USE

The batteries in our kit retained some of their pre-shipping charge, reading just into the orange indicator. We started by charging one, snapping it into the charger with a satisfying click. About thirty minutes later, we were ready to go.

Worklight

In our experience, the flashlight is a good general-purpose, long-lasting light. While you can’t focus the beam or adjust it in any way, there’s really no need for these features on a general-purpose shop light. We did find the light’s rotating angle adjustment very helpful for situations when you need your hands free. It did the job well and worked just as expected.

Reciprocating Saw

We reduced a couple of two-by-fours to a pile of dusty wood with the reciprocating saw, and were very impressed. It’s a solid tool with a comfortable grip for both front and back hands and provides excellent control. It felt quite good in our hands and is quieter than almost any reciprocating saw we’ve used.

DSC01746.jpg

It also vibrates less than most recips. We can’t stress how much control the Ryobi offers. With its sensitive variable-speed trigger, we could slow it all the way down to back-scratching speed, and we had no trouble at all cutting carefully through drywall with it.

Drill/Driver

We put the drill/driver to work a great deal during the kit’s last week of testing, and almost everyone in the Toolmonger shop grabbed it for a task at least once. And almost everyone did a double-take when they picked it up. This drill/driver feels really good during use.

DSC01739.jpg

Besides the basics of drilling holes and driving screws into the usual two-by-fours, we built a wall with it. The “Mag Tray” holds a handful of screws and saved several trips back to the bench, essentially eliminating the need (in this small project, anyway) for a carpenter’s apron. All the controls make very positive sounds and feels when you adjust them. You know when you’ve changed them and don’t have to look to make sure.

DSC01747.jpg

We did run into one hitch with this otherwise-competent circular saw. When cross-cutting two-by-fours, the blade guard springs back and catches the corner of the 2×4 at the end of the cut.

Just at the point where the saw is almost completely through — and you’re really into the cuttin’ groove — it’s all bump-bump-bump-what-the–? The saw stops all forward motion and you have to pause and mess with the guard to keep working. It’s not a huge issue, but it is a bit annoying.

Anyone who prefers a worm-drive saws will love this saw’s left-handed arrangement, though it may confound some beginners. Regardless, the saw is well-balanced with the battery attached and features large, comfortable grips. It’s also really light — almost three pounds lighter than our old corded 7-1/4″ standby.

The trigger lock is big and easy to push even while wearing gloves. The blade that comes with the set is a standard “I have a blade for my saw” inclusion, and we were splintering a lot on our cuts. With the right blade this would be a much more well-mannered saw.

Read on to page five for our conclusions.

pages: 1 2 3 4 5

11 Responses to Hands On: Ryobi One+ 4-PC Lithium Power Tool Kit

1. Mel says:

Are the new batteries interchangeable with the old tools/ old batteries with new tools?

2. Zathrus says:

Mel – yes, they are. New tools, old batteries or old tools, new batteries, it doesn’t matter. That’s one of the big selling points of the One+ line.

3. Jordan says:

I bought the drill/flashlight combo. I’m quite happy with both. The drill replaces an old DeWalt 14.4v whose NiCd battery will not hold much of a charge and it has been next to impossible to find a replacement battery for it (This was one of the very first 14.4v to come out. 12v was the standard then, and DeWalt subsequently changed to the XRP battery line).

I find the drill very easy to use and I’m happy with the upgrade in power and reduction in weight. The 18v LiIon is lighter than my NiCd 14.4v. I’d recommend it to anyone.

4. Michael says:

I just left Home Depot and bought this set. Street price was 159.00, but was on sale for 129.00. Brought it up to the register, and it can up for 159.00. Had to have the manager verify the display, and he marked it down to 129.00.

5. tim white says:

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I love the Ryobi cordless tools. I have used all of them and I use the drills every day all day long. I own about fifteen right now and use them in my business. I have used them for over ten years and two are still around from way back then. I drop them all the time from two to four feet and my carbide bits break or bend and the drills and batteries still work. I have only managed to put a small crack in one battery all these years and that battery still works. I have beat the hell out of these tools and I am amazed at how they hold up so well. I use them for drilling through 1/32 and 1/16 stainless into bullet proof glass and under that is plywood, also for driving screws into the holes. The batteries last for a long time and they hold a charge well for a about 3-5 years with the way I use them. I can’t wait to go out and get a few of these new ones–I hate the color-the blue is much better-but I will wait until more of the eight drills purchased five years ago wear out. My only complaint is that they need wider bases under the batteries so they don’t tip over as easily but I could spend five minutes and make a base to fit over the battery but I am lazy. I don’t own stock in the company or sell these and I am not paid in any way by them to say this stuff. I just want people to know that their cordless drills are no joke. I use the lighter 14 volt drills for everything repetitive but the 18volt drills are good for most other stuff. My brother is the one who uses the 12 volt or is it 9, it is tiny but he just needs it for drilling holes in wood. thanks, tim…

6. KevinB says:

I have 3 18 volt Ryobi Drills, good bang for the buck, especially the old 3 speed hammer drill. No matter how many times I see these green things, they just look ugly, I’m still wondering why Ryobi didnt just stick with their blue color scheme.

7. Gary Menzel says:

how much is this item

8. Gary Menzel says:

How much is the ryobi set

9. Ron says:

Are there generic 18V Lithium Ion battery packs available for these Ryobi tools? If not, does anyone know where I can buy individual Lithium Ion batteries to convert my old NiCd pack to a Lithium Ion Pack?

10. Tim says:

Just picked up this 4 piece kit, for $199 at Home Depot. The one with out the two saws, meaning drill, 2 batteries, charger, light, small bag, was $99. They are on clearance, since the new auto speed drill came out.

Ron (last post in this list) if you are reading this might want to go pick up that $99 kit. And no generic Li-ion batteries as far as I know. And if you do go Li-ion, you will need the new charger as well, as the old chargers do not work with the new batteries.

11. Tim says:

Oh I should also say, the new lime green charger works with both battery types….