Worklight

The work light in this kit is practical and easy to operate. Basically, it boils down to an 18V li-ion rechargeable flashlight with a flat, stable battery for the base.

DSC01714.jpg DSC01723.jpg

The head swivels on an angle so that you can set the light down and point the beam high up a wall or at other funky angles.

Reciprocating Saw

Ryobi rates the reciprocating saw at a maximum 3,000 strokes per minute. We appreciate the very positive hold on both ends of the saw afforded by its liberally applied soft rubber grip material.

DSC01711.jpg DSC01708.jpg DSC01709.jpg

The battery attaches to the bottom of the tool just in front of the handle, and theoretically provides a flat surface on which you can balance the tool. However, we don’t recommend doing so as it’s very easy to tip the tool over, possibly fouling the blade. The saw also features a nice blade lock/release lever that’s very easy to operate and secures with a healthy “click,” letting you know the blade’s locked in correctly.

Read on to page four to see how the tools performed in testing.

pages: 1 2 3 4 5

11 Responses to Hands On: Ryobi One+ 4-PC Lithium Power Tool Kit

1. Mel says:

Are the new batteries interchangeable with the old tools/ old batteries with new tools?

2. Zathrus says:

Mel – yes, they are. New tools, old batteries or old tools, new batteries, it doesn’t matter. That’s one of the big selling points of the One+ line.

3. Jordan says:

I bought the drill/flashlight combo. I’m quite happy with both. The drill replaces an old DeWalt 14.4v whose NiCd battery will not hold much of a charge and it has been next to impossible to find a replacement battery for it (This was one of the very first 14.4v to come out. 12v was the standard then, and DeWalt subsequently changed to the XRP battery line).

I find the drill very easy to use and I’m happy with the upgrade in power and reduction in weight. The 18v LiIon is lighter than my NiCd 14.4v. I’d recommend it to anyone.

4. Michael says:

I just left Home Depot and bought this set. Street price was 159.00, but was on sale for 129.00. Brought it up to the register, and it can up for 159.00. Had to have the manager verify the display, and he marked it down to 129.00.

5. tim white says:

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I love the Ryobi cordless tools. I have used all of them and I use the drills every day all day long. I own about fifteen right now and use them in my business. I have used them for over ten years and two are still around from way back then. I drop them all the time from two to four feet and my carbide bits break or bend and the drills and batteries still work. I have only managed to put a small crack in one battery all these years and that battery still works. I have beat the hell out of these tools and I am amazed at how they hold up so well. I use them for drilling through 1/32 and 1/16 stainless into bullet proof glass and under that is plywood, also for driving screws into the holes. The batteries last for a long time and they hold a charge well for a about 3-5 years with the way I use them. I can’t wait to go out and get a few of these new ones–I hate the color-the blue is much better-but I will wait until more of the eight drills purchased five years ago wear out. My only complaint is that they need wider bases under the batteries so they don’t tip over as easily but I could spend five minutes and make a base to fit over the battery but I am lazy. I don’t own stock in the company or sell these and I am not paid in any way by them to say this stuff. I just want people to know that their cordless drills are no joke. I use the lighter 14 volt drills for everything repetitive but the 18volt drills are good for most other stuff. My brother is the one who uses the 12 volt or is it 9, it is tiny but he just needs it for drilling holes in wood. thanks, tim…

6. KevinB says:

I have 3 18 volt Ryobi Drills, good bang for the buck, especially the old 3 speed hammer drill. No matter how many times I see these green things, they just look ugly, I’m still wondering why Ryobi didnt just stick with their blue color scheme.

7. Gary Menzel says:

how much is this item

8. Gary Menzel says:

How much is the ryobi set

9. Ron says:

Are there generic 18V Lithium Ion battery packs available for these Ryobi tools? If not, does anyone know where I can buy individual Lithium Ion batteries to convert my old NiCd pack to a Lithium Ion Pack?

10. Tim says:

Just picked up this 4 piece kit, for $199 at Home Depot. The one with out the two saws, meaning drill, 2 batteries, charger, light, small bag, was $99. They are on clearance, since the new auto speed drill came out.

Ron (last post in this list) if you are reading this might want to go pick up that $99 kit. And no generic Li-ion batteries as far as I know. And if you do go Li-ion, you will need the new charger as well, as the old chargers do not work with the new batteries.

11. Tim says:

Oh I should also say, the new lime green charger works with both battery types….