Drill/Driver

The darling of the set is the 18V 1/2″ 2-speed drill/driver. It feels light and comfortable, yet includes all the bells and whistles we’d expect on cordless rigs, such as two-speeds (high/low), a brake, a half-inch keyless chuck (which is plastic but still worked well), a multi-setting clutch, and direction reversal.

DSC01692.jpg DSC01698.jpg

It also features a level on its the spine near the rear and a “mag tray” — a magnetic screw holder on top of the foot. Rated at 1,600 RPM in high with no load and with a maximum torque of 330 in-lbs, this drill/driver squarely fits the DIYer niche.

But what about that 330 in-lbs rating? Since manufacturers don’t provide the RPM at which they take these ratings, they’re essentially meaningless. Sometimes manufacturers fudge ’em up a bit, selecting a slower speed to make a wimpy driver sound like a brute. Is this the case with the Ryobi?

In short: no. We didn’t put the drill on a dynamometer, but then neither will you. Instead, we selected a big-ass screw from our bin — one big enough that most drill/drivers couldn’t drive it — and gave it a go with the Ryobi and a couple of the other drills we have around the shop or in testing. As you can see from the photos below, the Ryobi finally gave up the ghost with about four threads remaining — a performance very similar to Craftsman’s C3 19.2V NiCd drill/driver (five threads, rated at 420 in-lbs, and recommended by us and Consumer Reports) and Craftsman’s 20V li-ion drill/driver (three threads, rated at 500 in-lbs). Milwaukee’s V18 drill/driver (rated at 550 in-lbs) drove the screw clean in.

DSC02075.JPG DSC02077.JPG
DSC02078.JPG DSC02086.JPG

Note: Is this a scientific test? We feel it’s more a practical test. We essentially did what you’d do with the tools: we ran them at different speeds, cajoling them into driving the screw as far as we could. We didn’t, however, engage the hammer mode on any of the drills.

Circular Saw

The first thing we noticed about the 5-1/2 inch circular is that the blade is on the left like a worm-drive saw.

DSC01670.jpg DSC01672.jpg DSC01688.jpg

Other features include a guide shoe, blade wrench storage, spindle lock button — no more holding the blade with a glove! — a depth adjustment up to 1 3/4″, and bevel adjustment up to 45 degrees. This circular saw is rated at 4,200 RPM with no load and will cut a depth of 1-9/16″ at 0 degrees or 1-1/8″ at 45 degrees.

Read on to page three for more unboxing.

pages: 1 2 3 4 5

11 Responses to Hands On: Ryobi One+ 4-PC Lithium Power Tool Kit

1. Mel says:

Are the new batteries interchangeable with the old tools/ old batteries with new tools?

2. Zathrus says:

Mel – yes, they are. New tools, old batteries or old tools, new batteries, it doesn’t matter. That’s one of the big selling points of the One+ line.

3. Jordan says:

I bought the drill/flashlight combo. I’m quite happy with both. The drill replaces an old DeWalt 14.4v whose NiCd battery will not hold much of a charge and it has been next to impossible to find a replacement battery for it (This was one of the very first 14.4v to come out. 12v was the standard then, and DeWalt subsequently changed to the XRP battery line).

I find the drill very easy to use and I’m happy with the upgrade in power and reduction in weight. The 18v LiIon is lighter than my NiCd 14.4v. I’d recommend it to anyone.

4. Michael says:

I just left Home Depot and bought this set. Street price was 159.00, but was on sale for 129.00. Brought it up to the register, and it can up for 159.00. Had to have the manager verify the display, and he marked it down to 129.00.

5. tim white says:

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I love the Ryobi cordless tools. I have used all of them and I use the drills every day all day long. I own about fifteen right now and use them in my business. I have used them for over ten years and two are still around from way back then. I drop them all the time from two to four feet and my carbide bits break or bend and the drills and batteries still work. I have only managed to put a small crack in one battery all these years and that battery still works. I have beat the hell out of these tools and I am amazed at how they hold up so well. I use them for drilling through 1/32 and 1/16 stainless into bullet proof glass and under that is plywood, also for driving screws into the holes. The batteries last for a long time and they hold a charge well for a about 3-5 years with the way I use them. I can’t wait to go out and get a few of these new ones–I hate the color-the blue is much better-but I will wait until more of the eight drills purchased five years ago wear out. My only complaint is that they need wider bases under the batteries so they don’t tip over as easily but I could spend five minutes and make a base to fit over the battery but I am lazy. I don’t own stock in the company or sell these and I am not paid in any way by them to say this stuff. I just want people to know that their cordless drills are no joke. I use the lighter 14 volt drills for everything repetitive but the 18volt drills are good for most other stuff. My brother is the one who uses the 12 volt or is it 9, it is tiny but he just needs it for drilling holes in wood. thanks, tim…

6. KevinB says:

I have 3 18 volt Ryobi Drills, good bang for the buck, especially the old 3 speed hammer drill. No matter how many times I see these green things, they just look ugly, I’m still wondering why Ryobi didnt just stick with their blue color scheme.

7. Gary Menzel says:

how much is this item

8. Gary Menzel says:

How much is the ryobi set

9. Ron says:

Are there generic 18V Lithium Ion battery packs available for these Ryobi tools? If not, does anyone know where I can buy individual Lithium Ion batteries to convert my old NiCd pack to a Lithium Ion Pack?

10. Tim says:

Just picked up this 4 piece kit, for $199 at Home Depot. The one with out the two saws, meaning drill, 2 batteries, charger, light, small bag, was $99. They are on clearance, since the new auto speed drill came out.

Ron (last post in this list) if you are reading this might want to go pick up that $99 kit. And no generic Li-ion batteries as far as I know. And if you do go Li-ion, you will need the new charger as well, as the old chargers do not work with the new batteries.

11. Tim says:

Oh I should also say, the new lime green charger works with both battery types….