farmtractor.jpg

If you farmed the land fifty years ago, you probably owned or leased something a lot like this 1947 International tractor — a seriously handy thing to have. Reader Brad Huffman posted up his dad’s latest find, and from what we can tell it’s pretty well preserved. Brad says a few issues need to be worked out, though.

I’ll be redoing the mess of spaghetti that is the wiring/electrical. Someone converted the 6 volt system to 12 volt, and borked it up a bit along the way. May keep the 12 volt system, but may also go back to the original 6 volt. Not sure yet.

A Flickr commenter raised the question, is this an old Farmall Cub or a Farmall “A”? To be honest, we don’t know enough about old-school farm equipment to make the call, so we’ll leave that part up to you. Anyone out there a farm equipment aficionado?

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

8 Responses to From the Flickr Pool: 1947 Tractor

1. RipRip says:

Looks like a Allis-Chalmers WD45 with the off set sterring wheel and all.

2. Adam says:

err, based on my nearly decade-old memory of the last time I straddled a Farmall, I’d say it’s probably a ‘Cub’. I used to use a Farmall ‘B’ and a Farmall ‘A’ to shuttle empty silage wagons around and to mow the edges of the fields with a belly mower, and this doesn’t quite look like an ‘A’ to me. Of course, my ‘A’ was quite a bit less shiny then this, and was probably missing all of the trim and all, so I could be wrong 😉

3. Brad says:

May be a cub. I’m going to pull the serial number tonight. Dad said it was an “A” model, so I’ve been running with that. I’ll make sure to let him know we were smacked down (virtually) on the model. 😉

4. Ray says:

I’m the one who made the comment on the flicker photo. The only reason I asked was that I was curious as I’ve never seen an A with the “pogo stick” seat. As far as I know that is a distinctive cub feature. Otherwise it is a very good looking tractor.

5. Chris says:

I love the battery sitting out there on the foot plate. I assume that mower pulley is being driven by some contraption off the PTO drive in back?

cl

6. Rich says:

I agree that it more closely resembles a Cub. The easiest way to determine is that the Farmall A has 4 forward gears versus the Cub’s 3 forward gears.

7. Wild Bill says:

I’m going to say Cub also. We had one back on the farm in the late ’60/early 70’s. No belly mower on ours however. My 4 yr. old brother jumped on it and took it down the road one afternoon with our dad in hot pursuit in the pickup truck.

8. ryan says: