Freud FB-104 4 Bit 1/4-Inch to 1-Inch Forstner Bit Assortment

I spotted this great deal over on Amazon: a set of four Freud Forstner bits in 1/4″, 1/2″, 3/4″, and 1″ diameters, with a lifetime warranty, for $16. I purchased some Forstner bits for a project a while back when I really should have bought spade bits — if you’ve ever used a Forstner bit in a regular hand drill, you know it takes a lot of force to push them into the material you’re cutting. But they work great in a drill press, especially for making pocket, angled, or overlapping holes.

Freud [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Dealmonger: Freud FB-104 Assorted Forstner Bits $16

1. DP says:

Hmmm
    Made same mistake myself – wasn’t sure if I’d just bought too cheap blunt forster bits or if they just didn;t work well in hand drills – you’ve kind of confirmed the later – self feeding augers or spade bits for me for those jobs.

2. MacTavish says:

If you’re trying to use Forstner bits in a hand drill, you probably shouldn’t be using power tools without supervision.

3. Fred says:

Admittedly these work best in a drill press – especially at large diameter.

But, we’ve cut hundreds of counterbores with Forstner bits using cordless drills. Over the years many customers ask that we undermount radios and other appliances below cabinetry. We mark and drill counterbores then bolt clearance holes. We mount the appliances – and if we can we add thin plugs to cover-up the mounting bolts. We take pains on our jobs to provide high quality – and we never had any call backs on this – and never had a mis-bored hole.

4. ToolFreak says:

I don’t know what kind of hand drill you’re using, but I’ve used Forstner bits in them just fine…even in plywood. Taking your time and letting the bit cut in rather than just shoving it and burning up the wood (and the motor in the drill) lets these work pretty well. They may not be purpose-made for it, but when a spade bit won’t do, they’re great. Of course, I use gloves and safety goggles as well.

5. Teacher says:

I also use Forstner bits in hand drills, cordless and corded. Corded is easier but either will work. You just have to be patient same as with a hole saw. So I guess add me to the list of people that shouldn’t be using power tools.

6. Dusty says:

Yup, put me on the restricted list for power tools too. I just couldn’t get my drill press turned horizontally and maneuvered underneath the cabinet where I was drilling the pilot hole…but I did break a collar bone and kill a cat trying…
    Turns out the hand drill worked perfectly.