Dewalt Cordless Finish Nailer

I love my nail gun, but I don’t love plugging it into an air compressor and dragging around a hose. A cordless nailer sure would fix that problem, but wouldn’t I have to deal with both batteries and gas fuel-cells? Unlike the Palisode models Toolmonger previously covered, the DeWalt cordless nail guns don’t require a gas fuel-cell — they fire nails powered by the battery alone.

DeWalt makes a number of 12/14.4V and 18V models. But I’m going to feature the DK612KA 16-gauge 12/14.4V, because if you already have a tool with 12 or 14.4 XRP batteries, you can buy a bare tool for 154 freaking dollars!

Dewalt’s cordless nailers can fire nails at a rate of 4 to 5 nails a second. You can choose either bump mode, for fast driving, or sequential modes for precision driving. A six-position numbered dial allows you to set your depth to easily remembered settings, so you can change the setting for a different material and come back to the exact setting later.  An integrated headlight illuminates your work, and tool-less access to the nose piece allows you to easily clear jammed nails.

The rear-loading DC612KA accepts most brands of 16Ga. straight nails.  Since there’s no air hose to disconnect when you’re not using the tool, DeWalt added a contact-trip lock-off to disable the the trigger, so you can’t fire it accidentally — but we’d still recommend you pull the battery when you’re done, as an extra safety precaution.

If you don’t have any XRP 12V or 14.4V tools, you still can buy this nailer with two 14.4V batteries, charger, and case for $215 at Amazon right now.

Cordless Finish Nailer [DeWalt]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Bare Tool Via Amazon [What’s This?]
Kit Via Amazon [What’s This?]

12 Responses to DeWalt Cordless 16-Gauge Finish Nailer

1. joelfinkle says:

I’ve used the finish and framing Paslodes — miracle workers. Hanging a soffit in my slope-ceilinged kitchen for an island range hood would have been impossible, and the amount of work saved in filling hammer marks on the trim definitely made a day’s rental worthwhile.

Having a measurable depth gauge rather than an unmarked dial like the Paslodes would be very nice. With the finish nailer it was always, “Nope, that didn’t go all the way in, no that went straight through and cracked the wood” until you get the Goldilocks “Just Right” setting. The fuel can isn’t a big deal, but I have to think I’d get more lifespan out of a can and a battery than just a batt.

2. Fred says:

Am I reading the Amazon copy correctly that this tool weighs 17.5 lbs. or is that just the shipping weight? The Amazon copy also says that the tool measures 18x15x7
    We have several Paslode cordless angled finnish nailers and I think that they weigh about 5 lbs. and they are about 12x12x4 as I recall. I might try one of these Dewalts in a angled configuration if the weight/size is comparable.
    The Paslode is a great tool – but suffers from the need to disassemble it and clean the piston from time to time – plus customer comments about the smell of the mapp gas.

3. I’ve noticed that the Amazon descriptions are sometimes wrong or even for the wrong tool. From the Dewalt site

Tool Height 12.75 ”
    Tool Length 12.5 ”
    Tool Weight 7.8 lbs
    Tool Width 4.18 ”

Size wise they seem about the same as the Palisodes, but a little heavier. That makes sense since the Dewlat’s use a flywheel.

4. Fred says:

Re: Benjamen Johnson Says:

Thanks for the clarification.
    I may pick one up to try out.

5. Shaun says:

I have the 18v 16gauge (angled feed) DeWalt nailer. I picked it up at Home Depot a while back for about $300 with the case, charger, and one NiMH battery. (most of the 18v batteries are NiCD)

The nailer works great. It is VERY convenient. The 18v version doesn’t weigh too much and is well balanced. It also has a belt hook much like the one in the picture above (wish all my tools had a hook option). My only gripe would be that the body of the nailer is bigger than an air one and sometimes hard to get in a tight corner. Oh yeah, not that I’ve done any large jobs yet but I’ve never depleted the charge on any one project. Wish I could say that for the 18v saws.

6. Zathrus says:

That’s just sweet… I’d like to see a lot more cordless nailers around; my only reason for wanting a compressor is for nailers, and if you can get a fully cordless one for not much more than a good quality compressor one, I’m in; it’d definitely be more convienent for a DIYer.

7. MR P says:

You always have the co2 route and then you can use it on all your nail guns in all sizes and have full control on the strength of it

8. l_bilyk says:

This thing is bulky and heavy. But it works really well, and is great for small jobs where you don’t want to drag out the compressor

9. thedcdude says:

I second that I_bilyk.
    If you’re used to a pneumatic or even the Paslode, you’ll be very turned off at first to this gun. Once you get used to it I think you’ll accept it. Air guns drive the best nails, but this Dewalt works very well. Why does the Angled cost so much more than the straight??

10. Mel E. says:

I have been using one regularly at work for a few years now and love it. A bit heavier than a air gun, but add that compressor and hose weight and it is a lot less. I find it meets all the needs I have in a production gun. Battery life is quite good. trimming all day usually requires a battery change at lunch. Its also nice to have a quieter area to work in with no compressor running.

11. bernig says:

Shaun: Here`s the answer to your question. I drain more than one battery a day (18v dewalt) with my nailer. It can drive 800 to 1000 nails when fully charged.

12. JeffreyJ says:

I have the 18V version (DC618) and love it. I don’t get quite the same life as bernig – maybe 4 “sticks” of nails per charge – but that is almost immaterial as most of the people who would buy a $200+ DeWalt cordless nailer probably already have at least one other DeWalt 18V battery. In two years of using this tool at least on a weekly basis I have only noticed two downsides: the lowest “force” setting (1) still drives nails way too deep in soft woods like cedar; the “anti-mar”tip that goes onto the safety interlock foot comes off after driving 10 or so nails. Also, I would definitely say that this nail gun is heavy, but so are pneumatic hoses attached to otherwise lightweight nail guns! Finally, I rarely experience jams but when I do they are very easy to clear and it always is from P-C nails from The Despot; Senco nails have never given me a problem (still, I’ve had maybe 4 jams in 2 years so not really a big difference). Highly recommended.