vhbLJ.jpg

Double-stick tape can be a third hand when you’re doing assembly projects. While it holds the pieces, you can work on creating a permanent attachment. 3M’s VHB tapes comes in a variety of double stick flavors, and they can help you out as a third hand — what makes ’em cool, though, is the bond is so strong on VHB tapes, you may not need anything else

VHB stands for “Very High Bond.” You use it in applications where other attachment methods could distort or damage surfaces, and it’s especially suited for attaching to metal and glass. For instance, people stick on their car tags and rearview mirrors with VHB tape. It can create a strong bond in a small area without using hardware. VHB also holds things together in the construction of outdoor signs, appliances, and windows.

I first worked with VHB when I was applying metal plaques to the walls of a museum. A piece of VHB got stuck to the top of my ladder, and I couldn’t get that piece off without actually damaging the surface of the ladder. After that experience, VHB became the secret weapon in my installation bag. It can help out with so many different applications, especially if you use the type of VHB that’s suited to your needs. I was a fan of the thin, transparent tape, but you can also get it in black, white, or foam.

The only downside to this incredibly strong tape is its incredibly high price. A single roll of 72 yards of 1/2″ transparent tape can cost $68. But it’s so strong, you may only need to use a little at a time.

VHB Tape [3M]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to Very High Bond Tape

1. Benjamen Johnson says:

This tape is awesome! I first saw a sample of it about 8 years ago, the vendor was hyping it as a way to replace some screws in the instruments we manufactured. The only problem is that you can’t pull the pieces apart if you need to do servicing. My old desk had a spot where I couldn’t get the tape off also.

If it should stick and doesn’t use duct tape…screw that VHB Tape makes duct-tape look like WD-40.

2. BC says:

Actually, I have a roll of it right here that we used for R&D. It works great if you don’t need high peel strength, especially against metal or most painted surfaces.

We do, so we use industrial-strength hot glue.

3. Jim K. says:

We use a ton of this in the exhibits we have out on the floor of our museum. If it’ll stand up to the (ab)use of 150,000 kids a year it’ll stand up to just about anything. 😉 I’ve also used this to hold a trim piece on my truck’s bumper that started falling off when the molded in rivet broke off. I’d always intended to do a “permanent” fix on it, but 2 years later and the tape is still holding strong and I’ve not really thought much about it since. As with any tape, it really helps to have a clean oil and particulate free surface for it to bond to.

4. Mr P says:

I use it all the time its great. I’m happy its not out of my pocket but in the museum I work in i use it for everything that I don’t use gaffers for.

5. scubasteve says:

I’ll agree with what everyone else has been saying. I first used it about 5 years ago, and have not stopped being impressed since.

6. Jax says:

We use the 1″ version of this to stick emergency floorpath lighting down on the floor of narrowbody boeings, works great, and the best thing is even a few years down the line if you need to take it up it stays together in one long piece.

7. Connrad67 says:

Can anyone explain the meaning of the product numbers which I assume describe the thickness, etc of the vhb tape? I’m looking for a heavy duty tape, CLEAR, for general home mounting & repair use. Any advise??
    Thanx!
    P.S. I’ve tried ‘Uglu’ double sided tape. I like the thickness (what does it measure???)- but I understand it’s not true VHB.???!!