Dust Control Joint Compound

Sanding drywall has got to rank up there as one of the messiest construction jobs. Even if you’re only sanding a small patch, you create a dust cloud that eventually leaves a layer of dust on everything in the area. Now USG sells Sheetrock lightweight joint compound with dust control. Sanding the dust-control joint compound creates “heavy dust” that falls straight to the floor. It stays put and doesn’t enter the air. Our only question is: why the hell didn’t somebody think of this sooner?!

This product would seem especially useful for remodeling jobs where you want to keep the dust from coating everything in the finished part of the house. We wish it came in smaller containers for small patch jobs, but unfortunately for now you can only get it premixed in 3-1/2 gallon containers.

Expect to pay anywhere from $14 to $20 for this formulation. It may be slightly more expensive, but think of the time saved cleaning.

Dust Control Joint Compound [USG]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Less Airborne Dust Is A Must When Sanding Drywall

1. Joe says:

I’m about halfway through a container of this stuff, and it does exactly what they say. After sanding, there’s a pile of dust at the bottom of the wall and my shoes, but if you look at the floor 3 feet away, you’d never know I was sanding.

2. Dan says:

They did think of it sooner — we used the Synko version of this last year, and like Joe, it seemed to work very nicely.

3. Bob TDG says:

It works really well… but you really should wear safety glasses and a mask while sanding the stuff.

Once in a while, in 10 years of drywalling, you end up sanding unprepared. Dust Control burns the eyes a little more, and is harder on the lungs.

4. Chris says:

Any materials engineers out there? I’m curious to know how they make “heavy dust” versus “standard dust” :-p

My guess would be that the cured dry product is harder, which causes it to fracture into larger particles when sanded.

cl

5. Nick says:

From what the local drywall supply says, it is that they add a wax to the mud, so when you sand it bonds together and falls.

6. Jim German says:

I concur with Joe, this stuff is great. It certainly doesn’t make sanding fun, but it keeps the whole house from getting covered in dust. Most importantly it works just as well the regular stuff and doesn’t cost much more.

And Dan, USG’s version has been around for at least a year as well.

7. kelly m says:

I agree i saw this in workbench mag last year , bought it a my local menards…
    I’s a few dollars more but it works so much better , i didn’t realize how little dust there was until i hit a secrion with an old patch job i did!!… I hit the old stuff and just plumes of dust ….
    IT’s worth the few extra dollars!!!!

8. Malcolm says:

I used this stuff and got loads of air pockets that I had to later fill in.

9. bobby stupid says:

For the love of what ever you love, WET “sand” drywall.

A wet green ‘scotch-brite’ rubbed on drywall works wonders, and your local hardware store probably sells something similar that mounts on a stick.

Spackle the dry wall, let dry, wet green scrubbing thing, be amazed at how well it works and how little mess you made. Rinse very often.

10. KevinB says:

I’m glad this is finally out, is it widely available pretty much everywhere now? I didnt see it at the depot last week.