hot-or-not4.jpg
birdspikes.jpg

We have no wish to harm our friends of the feather, and neither do the business owners who deploy these spike strips to deter birds from roosting in signs and overhangs. They’re just trying to keep their business from turning into Fort Pigeon, where random organic ordinance often comes into play. But the problem is this: in some cases, the birds aren’t put off at all.

We’ve seen all kinds of methods for scaring off birds, from these spike strips to sirens blaring scary bird sounds. Is this actually a good way to go about de-birding your entry ways, or are “Bird Bombings” just going to happen at storefronts no matter what anyone does? Let us know what you think in comments.

Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

17 Responses to Hot or Not? Bird Spike Strips

1. eschoendorff says:

That is seriously messed up. Some mothballs would probably do the trick. But freakin’ spikes? For birds?????

Then again, I have about four bird feeders in my yard 😉

2. Curtis says:

You may think this is messed up but I really needed some of these a few years back. I had a woodpecker that thought the metal chimney cap on the roof would be a good thing to sharpen his beak on, damn thing drove me insane.

Trust me, these exist to fill a need.

3. Chris says:

There was an interesting episode of Dirty Jobs recently where Mike was working with a crew of guys cleaning up pigeon poop (which is classified by the EPA as a hazardous substance, by the way) who said these things were basically worthless, and their deterrent of choice was a low-current electrical system that shocked the pigeons’ feet when they landed on the ledges. The guy who said that also said that they used to use the spike strips, but after a while the pigeons got good enough to build their nests in the spikes, which had the additional positive effect (for the pigeons) of thwarting most of their few remaining predators.

I like birds as much as the next guy — I also have a bird feeder at home — but pigeons are winged rats. They’re not even native to North America. As far as I’m concerned, we’d be much better off without them here in the US.

cl

4. NotTheSharpestSpoon says:

I do not think these are designed to destroy the birds (Kill! Kill! Kill!). I think they just keep them from landing and thus shatting all over your head. Plus, if it did stab the bird to death, you would have to go retrieve it from the spike and that would be more disgusting than bird doo doo in your hair. I would think…

5. Teacher says:

True they are not designed to kill, just keep them from roosting. I hate pigeons. Someone in my dad’s neighborhood decided to raise them and keep them as pets. He would turn them loose every other day to fly. They would go to houses that had feeders, run off all the other birds, crap all over everything. Real nice of the neighbor. My dad started shooting them with a .410 shotgun out the kitchen window.

6. Chris says:

I like your dad 🙂

7. aaron says:

yeah, those rock pigeons can be annoying/filthy. i once saw one get run over by a bus…made a loud pop.

you see these things all over the place near subway and bus stations. It always seemed to me that they worked pretty well. There were lots of pigeons there, but only nesting on bare spaces.

8. Zathrus says:

Not — as mentioned, they don’t work all that well. I saw them all over London when I was there a few months ago and the pigeons didn’t roost on them — they just found different places to roost instead that didn’t really improve things any.

Oh, and Curtis, that woodpecker wasn’t “sharpening his beak”, he was marking his territory. They usually use metal gutters for the same reverberation effect, and yeah, it’s annoying as hell.

Anyway, I agree that pigeons are just rats with wings… I like birds and have had bird feeders many times before (except that the rats with fuzzy tails, er, I mean squirrels, kept eating all the damn food and destroying bird feeders to get to it), but pigeons aren’t my idea of interesting.

9. FatalException says:

From what I remember of the tour, the Pentagon has a wooden owl that overlooks its inner courtyard. Evidently it is very effective in keeping most birds away.

10. Chris says:

Yeah, pigeons are not only dirty and annoying, but they’re stupid as heck. A while back, I had some friends who were leasing an old meat-packing plant downtown and they had a bit of a pigeon problem. We killed of most of them by walking up to the roosts and throwing golf ball-sized rocks at them from 10 or 15 feet away. If you missed, they’d just come back two minutes later (if they even left at all) and give you another clean shot. A BB gun is rather more humane, and a lot easier, but not exactly safe in an urban area.

cl

11. Chris says:

By the way, that other Chris, the one who likes Teacher’s dad, is not me. I don’t really condone what he (Teacher’s dad) did, assuming he knew they were pets, but I don’t really condone what his neighbour did either, just as I wouldn’t condone letting your dog crap on someone’s lawn and not scooping it up.

cl

12. JetMech2 says:

As a prior jet engine mechanic, I know all to well how much damage a bird can do to a jet engine and the pain airports go through to keep birds away from airports…especially runways. These spikes are also installed in hangars to prevent larger birds from roosting. Smaller birds like these because the bigger birds can’t get to them – or their eggs. But the bigger the bird, the bigger the damage to the engine and possibly the aircraft and its passengers. Take off and landing is definately NOT a good time to have an engine stall due to bird ingestion. Don’t be fooled by the size of the engine…these are precision spinning machines and nothing link a compressor wobble to get everyone’s adrenaline flowing.

13. Aaron says:

We had a pigeon who regularly nested above our walk way–these did the trick. Sure they just moved along to some other place but it wasn’t over where we walked every day.

14. BIGGEORGE says:

I have seen something that looks like like a plastic slinky.
    I works because pigeons have flat feet not claws and don’t like moving surfaces. Wrens might land on it, but anythind bigger
    wont like it because it gives under their weight.

15. CJ says:

Almost Hot – My University uses these all over campus. If it’s a question of do they work or not then yes the work. I have never seen a single pigeon in or around these spikes. So yes they work the problem is the university has some amazingly detailed woodwork/stonework on the out side of buildings, but now every ledge on that beautiful work is covered in GIGANTIC spikes.

The work, but they ruin craftsman ship.

16. l3utterfish says:

do u guys know of a place where show how to build homemade pigeon spikes?

17. Sarah S. says:

Yes, bird spikes are humane, and are here to fulfill a need. IF properly installed. IF the area is cleaned of bird droppings and other debris before installing. That is all that is needed to make these great inventions a working magic bird control product.

I contacted http://www.BirdBGone.com and they are the experts in the area of bird control. Low cost, high quality products are what they manufacture.

These work!