The Screw Up composite

To install screw hooks, you have to tediously screw them in by hand and finish with a pair of pliers when that gets too hard. So how can a horribly named product from an ambiguously named company make your life easier? Sophron Marketing’s The Screw Up features magnetic sockets that hold the hook in line with your shank. You can even thread The Screw Up into an extension pole, to install hooks in places where you previously had to use a ladder.

You can choose between the Screw Up Quick Kit or the Screw Up Combo Tool. The Quick Kit includes a handle with a 1/4″ hex chuck and threads for an extension pole; two wire-hanging bits with 1/4″ hex shanks; #8, #10, #12, and #14 screw hook sockets with 1/4″ hex shanks; and assorted screw hooks. The Combo Tool includes a hook socket, a wire-hanging bit, and a handle with threads for an extension pole.

McFeely’s sells The Screw Up Quick Kit for $16, or you can find The Screw Up Combo Tool online for about $12.

The Screw Up [Sophron Marketing]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
The Screw Up Quick Kit [McFeely’s]

8 Responses to The Screw Up

1. SuperJdynamite says:

“To install screw hooks, you have to tediously screw them in by hand and finish with a pair of pliers when that gets too hard.”

Or you can just put a screwdriver through the loop to get leverage.

2. Fred says:

Here is a Sears tool that works on small-sized hooks – it looks more solid than the white-metal and plastic that the tool above appears to be made from.

3. SuperJdynamite, Yeah, I usually use a screwdriver with eyelet screws, but I like to use the pliers on hooks because a screwdriver might slip out of the hook and damage me or something else.

I actually have one of the eyelet drivers Fred posted. It came in a security bit set. I’ve never used it, rather than go dig it out I usually end up driving in the hooks just like I described in the post with my fingers and a pliers.

The Sears tool is designed for eyelet screws which are symmetrical, but might not drive hooks very well if the hook shaft isn’t inline with the axis of the bit. You would have to at least drive it slowly.

========

I’m not saying this is the most solid tool built or that you need to buy it, I just thought the idea behind it was good. Personally I would rather see the screw hook sockets with the 1/4″ shanks sold separately for something like $2 a piece.

4. MikeT says:

Or you could just chuck an eye into your drill. To drive an eye, chuck a hook. It doesn’t get any easier.

5. Fred says:

My motor cycle enthusiast friend uses Motion Pro Tools

They have wing nut sockets – just not at $2 each:

6. Zathrus says:

And here I thought the Y driver from that cheapo HF security bit set was made for wingnuts (that’s what I’ve used it for so far). Hadn’t even thought about eyes or hooks.

MikeT seems to have the best idea though, at least if you have a hook and eye of the same proportions handy.

7. Jim K. says:

I’ve typically gone the route that MikeT has as well, either that or done it the “hard way” by finger and screwdriver. I had a sort of unusual rig that I built a few years back that required about 50 eyes to be mounted though. In that case I used a y bit and and let me tell you it was invaluable in that case.