scotchbrite.jpg

Scotch-Brite abrasive pads work great to put a brushed finish on some of the jewelry I make. Recently I decided to be a bit more scientific — I bought four types, with different degrees of fineness. I used a copper sheet for the quick test. Sterling would’ve been better, but I can’t afford to sacrifice that much to science.

I use the 7448 Ultra Fine for most work, and the 7447 Very Fine for some basic scratch removal beforehand, should the work need it. I don’t see a big difference between the 7447 and the 6444 Medium in terms of scratch pattern.  Once or twice, I’ve used the 7445 Ultra Fine before polishing, to good effect. Anyway, I mostly documented this so I could remember which pad is which, as the Very Fine and Medium pads look a lot alike — one is maroon, the other brown — and there are no intelligible markings on the pads themselves.

They all worked out great — and I’ll hold onto the test pad as a reminder of what each type will do to a metal surface.  I hear you can even use ’em to clean your pots and pans!

Scotch-Brite Pads [3M]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

9 Responses to Scotch-Brite Scratching

1. DON’T use the damned things on glass. I incorrectly assumed that a plastic pad would be perfect to get some hard to clean sap off my windshield and put a substantial haze on my windshield with a green scotch brite.

2. BC says:

jonathan, thats what 0000 steel wool is for 🙂

Norton also makes a synthetic pad, called Bear-Tex. It’s usually cheaper than Scotch-Brite. My company is an abrasive conversion business, and we go through sandpaper in 24-1/2″ x 50 yard rolls like nothing – 3M’s stuff is usually 4x the price of anyone else’s.

Bear-Tex can be ordered from an industrial distributor.

3. Chris says:

Nick, I think we’re all dying to hear more details about this jewelry you’re making. Or at least I am…

Jonathan: Might I recommend the excellent Goo Gone, available from most stores in the same area as laundry detergents/stain removers? It works wonders on sap and won’t harm glass (or fabric, its intended surface). Just put some on the sap and lay a damp rag over the spot for an hour or two.

You might be able to polish out the haze with some glass polish, however. The best way to polish glass is with a torch, but that won’t work on a windshield, which is made of plastic sandwiched between glass layers.

cl

4. bc says:

yep. did the same thing. used the thing on glass. oops. had mineral spots…

5. Fred says:

We polish and/or patina finish much larger pieces of copper and stainless steel for kitchen applications. While we use Makita 7 inch bonnet (automotive type) polishers we have a couple of Fein Tools that produce great results.

6. Whimsy says:

For achieving a matte finish without a machined look (streaks or circles), I usually put a piece of Scotchbright in a palm sander (the kind you can clamp a quarter sheet of sandpaper into – as you can imagine, I dislike the Velcro-style kind for it’s lack of versatility). Works like a charm, especially on stainless steel, since the scratches don’t get very deep.

7. Brau says:

Jeez I’m glad to read I’m not the only one to haze a car window with a Scotch-brite pad! I used an old one on my own car and it did wonders, then later I thought I’d impress my girlfriend by cleaning her sap spotted window but used a much newer pad and ruined the glass. Boy was I red-faced when I saw the damage after it dried. She said yes and married me anyway, despite wrecking her car.

As for abrading metal, I can vouch for Scotch pads attached to a drill sanding disc. Another neat finish can be had by using one of those nylon “wire wheels” as they leave a consistent matte pitted finish in any soft metals.

8. Paul says:

I also damaged my side window cleaning tint film adhesive off with a green scotch brite pad, nobody has posted ways to remove the scratches if possible, any other methods besides a torch
    Any help would be appreciated

9. Pat says:

I used scotch brite shaped green on one side sponge on the other side and it scratched my windows. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my new windows.