hot-or-not4.jpg
Saw-Aid

If ever there was “One Shop Tool to Rule Them All”, it might be the Saw-Aid. Let’s list the functions:

1. It’s a push stick.
  2. It’s a depth gauge.
  3. It’s a 30°/60° angle gauge.
  4. It’s a 45° angle gauge.
  5. It’s a square.
  6. It’s a center finder.
  7. It’s a 9″ rule.
  8. It’s a 6″ hook rule.

I count eight tools in one. I’m not sure I’d replace my steel rule or brass setup bars with the Saw-Aid, but it looks like a great tool to have by your table saw or to throw in your go bag or toolbox. You can find the Saw-Aid at many woodworking retailers for between $15 and $17.

Our question to you: Is it worth it? Is this something you would use in your shop, or is it something you get as a Father’s Day gift, that sits on your shelf collecting dust? Let us know in comments.

Saw-Aid [Stots Corporation]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

13 Responses to Hot Or Not? Saw-Aid

1. DaveS says:

Why stop at 8 functions? It’s also a 1″ rule, and a 2″ rule, and a 3″ rule, etcetera – and it can’t be beat as a 0″ rule, a function many similar tools leave out.

Anyway…

Not. It has no unique feature, and wouldn’t be my first choice for the features it does have. The one thing I don’t already have handy (like, in my shop pouch at most times) is a 30° angle – but that’s not worth the price by itself.

2. Stuart says:

Bosch makes a version with different frills for less than $11 on Amazon.

Craftsman rebadges the Bosch version for $13 as part # 932190.

It may be worthwhile to pick up the Craftsman version since it comes with a brief users guide while the Bosch version is reportedly shipped barebones.

3. modernman says:

warm 🙂

It’s an ok pushstick but I only picked it up for the depth gauge, I’ve never used the other “features”

4. Eric says:

I have to say “not.” I can get a regular push stick for much less (or make one). And the problem with all the other features is that it makes me want to take it away from my saw to use elsewhere, meaning it is highly likely then that it wouldn’t be at the saw when I need it most. And the first time this push stick hits the blade, about half of those features could be rendered useless.

5. tooldork says:

Vermont American has one too, in fact they own the patent on this design.

6. Gary says:

Not.

Have to admit my wife bought me one. I’m not even that wild about it as a pushstick.

7. Add me to the “Not”s. I make push sticks as I need them from scraps, and I prefer to use metal tools to measure lengths and angles.

8. Fred says:

Not

We make sacrificial push sticks and featherboards for to job site saws.

9. 3fingersleft says:

Wonderful, spend $17.00 for a metal push stick and the first time it hits your saw blade, you’ve ruined a $100.00 saw blade and the $17.00 push stick.

I’ll make mine out of scrap wood for free.

10. 3fingersleft, I never posted what material it was made from, but why would you assume it’s made from metal? That’s also assuming it’s a hard metal like steel. I’ve cut aluminum on my table saw and miter saw a few times with not problems.

I had to dig a little bit, but in this review:

The guy says “It appears to be made from a glass-filled resin…” Glass filled resin won’t ruin your saw blade, at the very work it might dull the blade a bit more.

================================
    Wow, I’m surprised how bad the saw-Aid is faring. I guess the old saying “Jack-of-all-trades, master of none might” be appropriate for the poor Saw-Aid.

11. Ron says:

How accurate do you think that plastic whiz-bang is? If you need a push stick, you should be skilled enough to make your own. If you aren’t maybe you should consider a less dangerous hobby

12. Fred says:

Amen to what Ron says – but some designs are safer than others. You need to consider where your fingers end up in any possible scenario – that should have them no closer than 3 inches from the blade. You also neeed to consider how the push stick will apply force to the piece to hold it against the table and the fence – and if there is the possibility for a pinch point either because of your feeding the work or stress in the wood being cut.
    We don’t think push stick are unversal – and use different designs for different operations and machines (table saw, router table, shaper, jointer etc.)
    You also need to be able to make and use a zero-clearance insert – when needed.

We seem to have fewer scary moments in the shop (saw is equipped with a sliding table) and has plenty of horsepower. But some carpenters push the capabilities of the job-site saws and that can lead to trouble. I’m observant and take appropriate action to avoid accidents but over the years we’ve had a few (luckily fairly minor – stitches only – no lost fingers) incidents

13. Not that I’m necessarily for the Saw Aid, but for all you nay-sayers, I just watched Norm using it to set his dado blade in the second part of table Saw 101.

On another note: I also recently saw him re-cut a piece because it didn’t fit perfectly — I can’t remember which episode it was — I think it was a teaching moment though rather than a mistake.