mfk700.jpg

A look at the Festool site will have fans of the green and black drooling over the May release of the MFK 700 multi-purpose routing tool. The 700 features a quick-change base that switches from vertical to horizontal mode in about six seconds and requires no additional tools.

The video on the Festool site makes the unit seem pretty slick. The MFK 700 features good stuff like a 10k – 26k RPM motor and a connection for a dust collection attachment. The unit will weigh in at 4.2 lbs and will ship with the adjustable base attachment. Nothing on price yet — but if it follows general Festool pricing, “cheap” won’t be the word to describe it.

MFK 700 [Festool]

15 Responses to Preview: Festool’s MFK 700 Multi-Routing Tool

1. I’m betting it’ll go for $475 in the basic configuration.

2. PutnamEco says:

I want one. I’m guessing right around the four hundred dollar mark.

3. Kurt Schwind says:

I just watched the video and all I can say is that if I won the lottery, I’d have a shop full of festool. Until then, I’ll watch the video a few more times.

4. Gary says:

But we didn’t win the lottery, now did we?

5. Wild Bill says:

The power unit on this looks very much like the newer generation of lightweight livestock shears (i.e., not the old Oster type sheep shear). Wouldn’t be surprised if it is the same idea, light weight plastic bodies and high speed, high power motors.

6. Fred says:

I keep hearing great things (other than price – some of this because of the waekness in the dollar versus the Euro ??) about Festool. Nonethelees, I will not likely trade in our Betterly and Bosch trim routers just yet.

7. Fred says:

Should have given you a link for Betterly – for those not familiar with them:

8. MR P says:

Well they do sell more routers than the amount of people that win the lottery. It’s really geared for people who make there living of there wood work. I have a few friends that do just that. And they anxiously wait for new Festool products to come out in the US market. They say there is no comparison to any other tool and its worth triple the price.

9. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    MR P Says:
    ================================================
    I sometimes wonder if it really is true that more pros buy Festool than hobby woodworkers.
    Very few of the jobsites I’ve been on have any Festool at all. I mostly see Dewalt and Makita followed by Bosch and Rigid, and of course the Skil 77.
    I am in a low end market here, maybe it’s different in a higher end market.
    Or are they all hidden away in furniture/cabinet shops?

10. Fred says:

My high end custom woodwork shop has none that I have ever seen – but did put me on to Betterly Cove cutters for solid surface installation work – and to other Betterly and Bosch laminate routers.

The only Festool products that I can recall seeing on a live jobsite here was a vacuum – but I’ve seen Tom Silva (This Old House) use them on TV (but manufactures love to “place /donate” their products so that they might be seen on TV or in the movies. Working on million dollar homes does not make your margin high enough to spend more than you need to on tools. Conversely if a better more costly tool will improve my work, increase productivity, reduce call backs etc. then I’m inclined to add it and have the crews test it out.

11. Mr P says:

Re:
    PutnamEco Says:
    March 6th, 2008 at 10:39 am
    Very few of the job sites I’ve been on have any Festool at all. …………
    ==================================================
    I think that if your going to a job site with other trades on there. Most guys are usually concerned of there tools disappearing at the job site. So they only pull out the expensive tools when they are the only ones on site or a must have for a certain detail cut.

12. Fred says:

Re:Mr. P Says

The specailty (aka high-priced) tools usually stay in my truck – not the Knack Boxes on-site.
    We joke around that the higher the price the worse the quality of the steel used in making the tool – or at least one might think so based on the rate at which it evaporates and disappears from the jobsite

13. Teacher says:

I read a post at the Sawmillcreek forum who is a festool dealer. He wrote that he was the one that sold the Festool products to Silva. He wrote that he was given a brief, 30 to 40 minute, meeting with Silva and his brothers to present the product and convince them it was worth the money. I’ve also seen Richard Trethuey(sp) using a Festool cordless drill. Since I don’t watch This Old Billionaires House anymore, I don’t know what they are shown using now.

14. Kurt Schwind says:

Festool on the job site? It’s a regular on ‘This Old House’.

And as to my comment on the lottery, I’m not saying that it’s not worth the price, I’m just saying that *I* can’t afford a slew of Festool tools unless I come into some serious cash. I don’t make my living working with wood. It’s a hobby of mine.

And Gary, I’m TRYING to pick the winning numbers. I’m not sure why “1 2 3 4 5 6” doesn’t win.