powerhammer.jpg

This massive power hammer comes to us courtesy of photo pool member tmib_seattle. Pictures like this one always put a smile on our face. This hammer’s the type of tool that gets a name in most shops — stuff like Mongo, Beast, or Thor. We’re also guessing that people the next block over can feel this thing crank up for action. The noise and power must be overwhelming — we must have one.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

8 Responses to It’s Just Cool: Massive Power Hammer

1. tmib_seattle says:

It was incredible to see it in action. This (and the other pictures I added to the pool) were taken this weekend at a blacksmithing workshop taught by master blacksmith Jerry Culberson at Old Cedar Forge.

It was an incredible weekend course; three days of blacksmithing amounting to almost 30 hours of training. I learned a lot, and got to see and put to use some techniques that were completely new to me. It was also my first chance getting to use a power hammer (not the huge one shown here, but a smaller one- there’s pictures in the flickr pool.) That was a heck of a lot of fun.

Learning stuff on your own is always worth trying, and having a good “book learning” background and some hands-on practice over the last couple years certainly made for a good start before taking this course. But having a master at the craft leaning over my shoulder and giving instruction and criticism was really valuable- I’d say that it’s likely the same way with most other skilled crafts as well.

–TMIB

2. Wheels17 says:

Have these made it to Toolmonger before? They’re from the turn of the century and show industrial blacksmithing techniques. The hammer starts at 3:19

Those people worked for a living.
    Check out the lack of guards and safety gear.

3. Lakanish says:

I’ve had a chance to use a 400lb (400lbs of pressure per square inch on every strike as I recall) air hammer at a different blacksmith shop in Seattle (yay Seattle!), and it was an experience. Last day at the shop and I had only used the 125lb Little Giant mechanical hammer, so they decided to heat up some 4-inch round stock and let me just beat the crap out of it. Touchy beasts.
    I remember a different time with the same hammer; another blacksmith had come in to use our air hammer (it was the biggest one in the neighborhood), and wasn’t watching closely enough. He was changing out a rig for a specialty job and his foot touched the release lever. His finger wasn’t BETWEEN the plates, luckily, but part of the flesh was caught between the rig and the striker. It burst his finger open on the other side.
    Safety first!

4. Brad Justinen says:

That thing is seriously scary….it would pop your head like a grape under a sledge hammer. Is everyone here from Seattle (Auburn to be exact).

5. Doug says:

That’s a baby one! The (now-defunct) forge shop at the shipyard here has a 1,000 ton hammer. Stands about 25 or 30 feet tall. Impressive.

6. elemenentfe says:

Doug, I’ll bet you dollars to peanuts that it was a press.
    And, yes. Everyone here is from Seattle 🙂

Andy

7. wilso says:

I have one like this it is a three ton power hammer .just need to know how many rpm to run this beast

8. wilso says:

I know i would need a 10 horse motor three phase to power it but stuck with the rpm .The hammer weighs 3ton and has a 12 inch piston on a crank with a smaller buffer piston on the top,can anyone tell me ???Cheers!