Shock Pad

We all do it: We use our palm to hit the end of a screwdriver or a chisel, instead of just picking up a proper hammer. But you might not realize that doing it regularly could damage your hand. Well, don’t fret about it — just pick up a shock pad from Tools For Working Wood.

A shock pad helps cushion the blow, saving wear and tear on your body. This lightweight version fits over either your right or left palm, leaving your fingers free for doing your work.

If you’re a hand hammerer, $12 is a minor cost to help preserve your most important tools of all — your hands.

Shock Pad [Tools For Working Wood]

7 Responses to Save Your Palm With A Shock Pad

1. PutnamEco says:

I wonder how that will work with a palm nailer.

2. Jon O says:

Ya know, this may sound like a goofy item but after giving myself an aneurysm in my palm beating on things I wised up and stopped using my hands as hammers. Ultimately I had to have surgery and still have circulation issues in my middle and index fingers.

3. Jon O, thanks for your story. When I first spotted this shock pad, I immediately thought: you know, last time I was hitting my chisel with my palm it seemed like a really bad idea, but I didn’t really know why.

I almost didn’t post this because I thought I might be getting a little too preachy. I did some research into Hypothenar hammer syndrome and was a little disturbed. But after reading more learned that nobody’s certain it’s caused by hammering with your palm.

The second thing I wondered was if the guys who break S@#$ with their palms in the martial arts have problems later with their hands. I know they’re taught the “right” way to do it, but let’s face it there still has to be a lot of soft tissue trauma.

I also wonder why there aren’t more companies selling a product like this. Or if maybe a good pair of gloves would help with the shock.

4. Bill says:

Thumbs down on this!

5. Zathrus says:

Gloves should help, but I’ve gotta wonder — if you’re going to remember to wear this, why not just use the right tool (a hammer) in the first place?

6. kevin says:

I think I will just stick with using the proper hammer.

7. Ryan says:

I agree with Zathrus and Kevin and Bill. I would go get a hammer before I went for this tool. Perhaps it has applications where a hammer does not suffice. Too specialized of a tool for my needs. Thumbs down.