11899_lg.bmp

There’s no getting around the fact that splitting wood is a chore. Swinging an axe or maul will leave you aching in the morning, and if you do it in the living room someone’s going to get hurt. Quality Craft makes the chore a little easier with their small and reasonably lightweight foot-operated log splitter — it’ll split small amounts of firewood for camping or just a night by the fire.

This log splitter couples your bodyweight with its ratcheting mechanical advantage to create 1-1/2 tons of force.  It’ll split logs up to 18″ long and 10″ wide.  Bearing down forces the log against the wedge to make the initial split — after that, each pump of your foot ratchets the log along until the two pieces fall off. The unit weighs 23 lbs and folds flat for storage. Northern Tool sell it for about $55.

Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter
[Northern Tool]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

7 Responses to Less Backbreaking, More Wood Splitting

1. Don't Bother says:

These things are a joke, buy split wood or bring out the maul. Or buy a real wood splitter, I prefer gasoline.

2. McAngryPants says:

Perfect for my dad! Me…well…I’m so much calmer after splitting the evening’s wood with my trusty axe and maul.

3. John says:

I prefer the Axe as well. I just pretend I’m lopping off zombie heads.

4. AndrewM says:

I give it an “A” for being creative, but there’s no way that will split more then five pieces before using up all my energy.

5. Wild Bill says:

This thing was the “What Is It” gadget on a recent Ask This Old House episode. Looks a bit flimsy for any real work, but might be OK for smaller stuff.

6. quasiperiodic says:

i tried the northern hydraulic bottle jack type for splitting 24″ diameter hickory rounds.

a maul + splitting wedge (or two) works as well or far better, since a splitting wedge never acts up. plus easy storage, no maintenance, etc.

7. I live In Idaho where it snows practically 3/4ths of the year! Gas and electric logsplitters are just so pricey. I like the cardio workout while chopping wood. For those that are looking for nice mauls or axes. I’m part of this site Manual log splitters.