wallotools.jpg

Pick a project, any project, and photo pool member bradjustinen is ready to go at a moment’s notice. After building this sweet storage rack, brad displays his tools like pieces of priceless art hung in the Louvre. Ok, maybe it’s not the same thing, but let’s see the Mona Lisa install a new vanity in the guest bathroom.

There’s no reason not to be proud of your tools or display them where you can get at them easily. We say this is a classic case of form meets function.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

14 Responses to From the Flickr Pool: Power Tool Storage Rack

1. Teacher says:

Ok, I’ll be the skunk at the garden party. It looks like a board with nails in it. The Ryobi hanging system looks like it works pretty well too.

2. SuperJdynamite says:

“It looks like a board with nails in it.”

That board with a nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

3. Fred says:

I prefer wooden bins in a Knaack Box

4. Brad Justinen says:

Wow, I wasn’t expecting this

It is a simple 2×4 cut to 6 feet with 11 screws (9 for the tools, 2 for the wall studs)

I have to give props to Ryobi for the lanyard system (would like to see Dewalt and others copy it)

The three bigger Dewalt cases are call the “Dewalt Tough Case”, purchased from Lowes for $5 each, are perfect for storing drill bits, screw bits, jigsaw blades, sawzall blades, Dremel bits, etc. Very affordable cheap ass tool.

I got the Ryobi renovator kit for Christmas and added a few extra tools on the cheap. They were refurbished from Ryobi but look and run like new. The only way you can tell they aren’t new is they have “RECON” branded on them. Definitely worth the price discount.

I am a big Ryobi fan, mostly because I simply wouldn’t be able to afford these tools from any other brand. Thats all.

5. Lars says:

OK, so it is a board and screws, but anyone who knows design knows it’s not the materials but where the materials are placed that counts. It’s simplicity is it’s genius, but take another look: The tools are just close enough to be readily available but not so close they touch or look cramped. And the overall balance of tool placement: note the interesting negative shapes (the areas between the tools). It is good design, but a casual glance might not appreciate the zen.

6. scubasteve says:

“I am a big Ryobi fan, mostly because I simply wouldn’t be able to afford these tools from any other brand.”

I am of the opinion that if they do what you need them to do, there’s no reason to buy a “higher grade” tool. Otherwise you are just paying for excess capacity that you aren’t using. If Ryobi is treating you well, then they are a great tool for you.

7. Zathrus says:

Brad — even cheaper Ryobi tools? That’s a dangerous, dangerous link… I’m sure some of the pros will scoff, but for DIYers the Ryobi One+ tools just plain kick ass (well; most of them). And the warrantee on those reconditioned tools appears to be the same as brand-new (the brand-new battery and charger are cheaper than HD too).

Of course, I’ve seen a number of pros with Ryobi tools too…

8. ToolFreak says:

Interesting way to save shelf and floor space and take advantage of the lanyard system specific to the tools. Most of the power tools I buy come with storeage/carrying cases though, which works great to keep their accessories in. DIY’er level tools like Ryobi, B&D, and Skil are just fine, too.

9. Teacher says:

My first half inch drill was a Ryobi. Got it many years ago and it’s still works great. I wish we had a HD here so I could get Ryobi. For some tools, I’d like a good alternative to the B&D at our Lowes without having to go as expensive as PC, Bosch etc .. No offense meant by my “board and nails” coment. Just being a Wisea** in a friendly fashion.

10. Fred says:

Maybe I have to give Ryobi another chance. My first and only Ryobi tool was a triangular pad detail sander which proved to be more of a hand vibrator than actual sander. It was an innovative new tool when I bought it in the 1990’s and I thought that it was priced so low as to make it worthwhile. It’s still somewhere in the shop – never taken to the worksite. Sometime after, I bought a PC profile sander – it also gathers (rather than makes) dust. I finally broke down and bought a Fein Multimaster in 2004 – which was at the other end of the price spectrum (I sometimes think that the price of the attachments are obscene). The Fein has held up well, does more than sand and always gets taken to finish carpentry sites. I’m thinking about buying a second one.

11. Pierce says:

Very scary photo. Something about tools all lined up make me worried. Mine are in the boxes of my truck, where I can grab them when needed. Of course they have to get tossed around quite a bit depending on which is needed.

As for Ryobi tools and professionals…

Well you could go out and buy Rigid or DeWalt, if that is the color you like. Just give me my Ryobi tools any day of the week. From my table saws to my cordless tools, they work just as well as the yellow, red or orange tools that cost 3 to 5 times as much. But hey, I have only been working with wood professionally since ’74, so what would I know about tools.

12. Brad Justinen says:

“Mine are in the boxes in my truck”

Dont’t you mean “Mine are being sold at the local pawn shop”

seriously around these parts (Seattle) you can’t leave anything in your car, locked or not……LOL (in a sad, sad way)!

13. Fred says:

Brad

Same goes for New York – that’s why the Knaack Boxes – usually bolted down from the inside then locked and chained-up. BTW never leave a burning torch out – or the Knaack Box will be toast.

14. AnotherSimpsonsFan says:

SuperJdynamite, I got the reference.