LMBit_Extender1.jpg

Leatherman makes this bit driver extender/adapter for the current generation of multi-tools and knives which accept Leatherman’s proprietary removable bits. The bit extender increases the tools’ reach by 3-1/4″ and accepts both Leatherman’s unique flattened bits and standard hex bits. This greatly expands the driving capabilities of these tools since the flattened bits are costly, in limited variety, and sometimes hard to find in a timely manner.

In case you’re unfamiliar with Leatherman’s proprietary bits, just imagine a standard 1/4″ insert bit with two opposite sides ground down, giving the bit a thinner footprint.

This bit extender/adapter is intended for use with the Wave, Surge, Charge, Skeletool, and several Leatherman pocket knives. If the $12 street price of the bit extender is too high for you, consider grinding your own adapter from a standard bit holder. If you choose the DIY route, be sure to upload some pics to the Toolmonger Flickr pool!

Bit Kit and Adapter for Smaller Tools

LMbitdriver1.jpg

If you have a smaller Leatherman tool, don’t worry — you can also get bit kits with adapters (shown above) for the Core, Blast, Fuse, Kick, and Juice, although they’re a bit pricier at $20 a set.

Currently, only a handful of distributors stock these adapters — if you find a reputable source, help us out and tell us in comments.

Bits and Adapters [Leatherman]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

9 Responses to Leatherman Bit Adapter

1. dave says:

I hate any bit system (or any tool system in general) that uses a proprietary design when there are standard tools available that would work just as well. In bits the two standard types are insert and power bits, and tool companies should stick to one or the other of them unless they have a very good reason to do otherwise.

The problem is that a proprietary tool restricts you to using that tool’s accessories unless some special adapter is offered. Lose or break a bit or accessory, and you have to go and find another one if you can, and probably at higher cost than a standard replacement would be.

• Chris says:

The reason they used the flat bits is so that they still have room in the multitool for other tools. A full size bit driver takes up a lot of room. I don’t know of any multitool that uses a full size bit driver, and Leatherman’s version seems to be the best around.

2. Trevor says:

The current bit system in my Charge XTi is OK, I guess, but I *really* miss the 2″-shank philips-head screwdriver in my old Super Tool. A lot of Leatherman use involves pieces of high-tech equipment (consumer and otherwise) which tend to have screws recessed in injection-molded plastic. The flat/wide interchangeable bits just don’t reach into even a shallow hole.

• Chris says:

You can actually use that phillips driver in your Wave and Charge. It’s exactly the same thickness as the original bit driver so it can be swapped easily. I have swapped the driver from my Kick (same as all the other tools) into my Charge and it works great. I also changed out the tiny bit driver for the Kick’s small flat head that I ground into an awl. This Charge is much more useful to me now.

3. Ryan says:

the bit system is great and yes it’s proprietary, but it’s part of a multi-tool they have to cut a few corners to make everything work and small.

4. Prasinos says:

The Leatherman bit system is proprietary, but it is a very good solution for the problem it addresses. With the flat Leatherman bit system, you can carry 20 bits in a little plastic thing that is less than 4mm thick! You just can’t do that with standard hex bits. (Look at tools that take standard bits: they are just too big). I got the extra bit kit from Leatherman, so I have always with me 40 different bits without taking much space (and the bits are high quality).
    For the rare occasion that you need a bit not available by Leatherman, just grind one or carry a small wrench (about 5$) like it is done in the Swisstool.
    My only complaint is that Leatherman bits are too thick for screws that are recessed.

5. Jay says:

If you find the leatherman bits too big, just get the adapter and then use normal bits – best of both worlds – portability and you can carry any additional easily available bit you need..

6. Bob says:

I need some help. I have one of the old bit kit/adapter sets (the one in the little plastic box) and can’t figure out how the silly thing works. I’m not good with puzzles.