post-irwinvinyl.jpg

Irwin recently released what they call “the first circular saw blade specifically designed to cut through vinyl siding.” As part of their Marathon line, it sports 120 symmetric, 60-degree teeth that Irwin claims eliminate chipping and cracking on both push and pull cuts.

Irwin also says the new blade offers similar benefits when cutting fencing, down spouts, gutters, and PVC piping — pretty much any vinyl-based items you’ll come across. We, of course, will reserve judgment until we can lay our hands on a few and give ’em a shot.

My only experience cutting vinyl was some fence latticework, but I cut it with a hand saw. This would certainly seem faster. Have any of you tried standard circ saw blades in this task?

Look for the Marathon vinyl siding blades in stores soon, at a suggested retail price of $9.

10 Responses to Irwin’s New Vinyl Siding Circ Saw Blade

1. Eric says:

I tried a standard circular saw blade for vinyl siding – once. It made so much mess on the job site, and was so hard to control for detail cuts, that I switched back to using tin-snips. I’ve put siding on a half-dozen houses using all hand tools, and never had any regrets. You have to use snips anyway for the detail cuts, so why not JUST use them for all the cuts? Yes – it can get tedious for the long rip cuts, but these cuts are few and far between, and a good utility knife and straightedge can make for a quick score-and-snap rip cut on the vinyl piece. Given that, I don’t see myself buying this blade for my tool box anytime soon.

2. elmegil says:

I used a circ saw on vinyl lattice, probably like what you were doing. It leaves lots of little balls of vinyl everywhere, and leaves lots of gritty junk at the end of the cut where the vinyl was melting more than cutting. My ends were always hidden, and it was a DIY project, so I didn’t sweat it much (other than the cleanup), but definitely not something I’d recommend. For a solid piece of vinyl I can only imagine it would be worse.

3. Colin says:

4. Phil says:

Also “no too high on the safety factor though.” is the picture blade guard with a cable tie to hold it up out of the way.

5. When I did vinyl siding we used a trim saw with the blade in backwards. Worked like a charm, smooth cuts no splinters. Probably no too high on the safety factor though.

I agree, but make sure you use a cheap stamped blade. The carbide tips will easily fly off an expensive blade, turning it into a “carbine” blade. (Yes, that was bad.)

6. Waylan says:

Yep, a cheap blade installed backward was how we did it for the ten years or so that I installed vinyl siding. Often, we would use the underpowered battery powered saws with smaller size blades. They were easier to control and created less damage.

Of course, there were those situations where snips worked better. Or those cuts that run the lenght of the piece which we would scribe with a utility knife and snap apart.

One things for sure, regardless of the method of cutting, it always worked better the warmer the weather. I ruined many a piece on cold days in the Buffalo/Rochester, NY area. 😉

7. The Bull says:

I have tried this blade. It works well in thin plastic material. I had to cut alto of vinyl soffet to go around my house. It really made a clean cut. And I recommend cutting 2 or 3 stacks at a time… makes short work of the cutting part anyway.

8. Fred says:

The 4-1/2 inch reverse-tooth trim saw blade for teh PC trim saw – also works well

9. i use an 7 1/4″ abrasive “metal cut off” blade for ripping vinyl posts and rails. leaves a very nice edge, and never chips the material. wish it was offered in 8 1/4?
    the blade seems to last forever. mine is two years old, used acouple times a week, and still cuts like new.
    i think Malco tools was actually the first to offer a “vinyl cutting circular saw blade. have fun, cote

10. Bill Mauldin says:

This blade is AWESOME. It cuts incredibly smooth and fast.
    It is available for $ 8.99 at LOWES. I have sided MANY houses and the blade still cuts as smooth as new.