hot-or-not4.jpg
Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray

You can’t overstate the importance of having a fire extinguisher in your shop or garage. There’s really no excuse not to have one — they’re relatively cheap and available in a variety of ratings and sizes. Now companies like First Alert have even introduced fire extinguishers that look and act like spray cans.

One such product, the Tundra, comes in a 14 oz. spray can with a nozzle that delivers a wide spray. Supposedly the Tundra lasts four times longer than traditional fire extinguishers, and it’s appropriate for kitchens, garages, workshops, boats, automobiles, or anyplace where there are fire hazards.

First Alert claims another potential benefit of their product — easy cleanup. If you’ve ever let a chemical fire extinguisher rip in your kitchen and had the fine yellow powder spread through your whole kitchen, you know what a pain it is to clean up.

At about $16 to $20 the Tundra is pretty reasonably priced — but does the fact that it doesn’t look like a regular fire extinguisher cause confusion in the heat of a fire? Are Tundra and similar spray can extinguishers really as effective? Let us know your opinions and your experiences in the comments.

Tundra [First Alert]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

22 Responses to Hot Or Not? Fire Extinguisher In A Can

1. Fred says:

I think it’s hot. I just have to remember to store that can of red Krylon somewhere else.

By the way, when you put a fire extinguisher in your kitchen locate it by the outside door. If there is a fire, you are headed for the exit automatically. When you get there you can decide if you want to go back to fight the fire or just get out.

2. I forgot to mention this in the post, but if you want to talk about confusing, they also have the blue can which looks more like a can of air freshener than a fire extinguisher. Although the red can kind of resembles Raid Ant and roach Killer.

3. Jon O says:

Super Hot.

I needed to quickly extinguish a fire in my fireplace several weeks ago. A one second blast from a similarly sized halon unit completely extinguished the fire. Completely.

Regrettably, even though there was lots of halon left in the can, once triggered the valve will leak and the can needs to be tossed. Sigh.

4. PutnamEco says:

Not. Get a real extinguisher. Your life or property may depend on it.

5. Frank Townend says:

I’m with the not crowd. If I am faced with a fire, I don’t want split-second decisions taking longer than necessary. And, like said above, get a real fire extinguisher, and hang it by the (exit) door.

6. metis says:

depends. is it co2? halon? chem?

it’s perfect size for a toaster fire, or maybe a wastebasket, but not gonna touch something more exciting.

yes, you should own a fire extinguisher, but you need to knwo when and how to use it as well.

7. Not. At least not for a shop that’s filled with things that burn well.

1. It looks too much like every other spray can. Boy, are you going to feel like an idiot when you turn a minor varnish fire into a shop-eater because you sprayed it with a can of Krylon.

2. There’s only so much fire retardant in a small can like this. If I need a fire extinguisher, I want *MASSIVE* overkill available. There is nothing that makes you feel more impotent than standing in front of a burning fire holding an empty extinguisher. I’ve been there and I know. (Jon O: there’s no “regrettably” about it. Better to have 99% left over than to need just one drop more.)

I keep one three-pound halon and one eighteen-pound dry chemical extinguisher in my garage shop. The 3# is clipped to the main bench and the 18# is by the door. Between the two, I can knock down anything short of a fully-involved structure fire. Even then, I can slow it enough that I might not lose the house by the time the fire department shows up.

8. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be considered a “real” fire extinguisher, though I suspect their claims of a longer spray time than conventional extinguishers have more to do with spraying slower than holding more extinguishing chemicals.

The MSDS sheet is here:

I don’t know much about fire suppression, but this combo of baking soda and water appears to be a fairly practical substitute for an ABC fire extinguisher. I’m guessing that the other ingredients are mainly there for stuff like antibacterial or as a saponifying agent (make the suppression fluid flow better or something).

The Tundra is in NO WAY comparable to a Halon extinguisher, as Halon is pretty much the mother of all industrial fire-suppressants.

As for fire extinguishers saving lives, that’s not really what these things are for. In the home environment, all you hope for from a fire extinguisher is a way of putting out small fires instead of just fleeing the house.

9. ToolFreak says:

Hot. Pun intended. Since Halon isn’t available anymore, and Halon substitutes make for pricey extinguishers that people don’t buy, a small, practical, and inexpensive clean agent may do the trick and save a bunch of property and maybe even a few lives in the process. Although not a substitute for a real Clean Agent extinguisher in the car, shop or home, I’d rather have a can of this handy than nothing, which is what most people usually have.

10. GAC says:

Warm. But this thing should have the trigger handle like the larger pepper spray containers.

11. Bill says:

NOT, or warm at best. As a Deputy Fire Marshal for a fairly large fire department I have to say not. Statistically nationwide it has been found that when people (civilians) attempt to extinguish a fire themselves with a fire extinguisher, the result is usually a larger fire, more damages, injury and on occasion a fatality. Most people who have never been trained AND practiced using an extinguisher to put out a real fire, dont use the extinguisher properly and dont put out the fire. Very often they delay calling 911 while attempting to extinguish the fire resulting in a larger fire when suppresion personnel arrive on scene. The logic behind placing the extinguisher at the door to a room or exit from a building is so that when you grab the extinguisher, and either use it improperly or the fire is too big for the extinguisher, the fire will not be between you and the exit. If you do so choose to have an extinguisher in your home, the biggest one that the smallest adult in the home can handle is the way to go. Select an ABC extinguisher as it will work on most of the fires you might see, just be aware that using any extinguisher improperly on a burning liquid, whether grease oil or gas, will likely spread the fire, not extinguish it. Also a good rule of thumb is, if the fire is as big as you or bigger, it’s TOO big for you to tackle, GET OUT.
    All this being said, as a Deputy Fire Marshal for 4 years with 10 years on the line, I would much prefer that if you have a fire in your home or business that you just get out, call 911 from a safe location, and never NEVER go back in to the burning building, I have seen far to many dead folk who tried to go back into a burning home to get something. Fire is exponentially worse in real life than most people realize, it is NOTHING like on t.v. or the movies. Get out, meet the first due firefighters, and advise them if anyone is still inside or if they are all out. I apologise for the length of this post, but as you can tell it’s a bit of a personal issue for me. Nuff said.

12. jack says:

thank you for chiming in Bill. i’ll go with your opinion

13. Gapsard de Coligny says:

One of my rule is that if it start in front of you, try to extinguish immediately. If you can’t then leave. A small start in the kitchen if treated immediately will most of the time stop, even for cooking oil spills (we got some special blanket to suffocate the fire at ready). First it save property, second it cancel any risk for other people in the house. The fireman will come… several minutes later, when the fire has spread and is out of control. Fire is like human healthcare, the earlier you act, the less you have to do.
    At home I have these kind of cans near every sensitive place and 2 ABC powder regular ones in the corridors at every floors.

Here in Japan, these cans are recomended by all safety organisation and available at every shopping center/combini/gas station, even some Toys’R’Us. And I always keep one in my bag when I go using my RC cars outdoors with their powerfull batteries electrical fire can start pretty fast.
    (meanwhile, for the car… nothing yet… it’s a little egoistic as it might be usefull for someone else… but as far as we are concerned… the insurance payback is much more interesting than saving it)

14. Avisciciulli says:

I’m warm to the idea, if only for the idea that this might have a shorter range of delivery than a conventional extinguisher. I’d really want to see it in action before committing.

I’m mostly on Fireman Bill’s side, but then, my local department in a city of 60K, has a response time under 4 minutes. If it takes 14 minutes before the first truck shows up (don’t mock it, my state’s statistics show this as an average response for some rural communities), you can be damned sure I’ll take a shot at knocking it down so I don’t lose my house. But obviously to do that, you need the right tools. 😉

On another note, this Tundra could be great to carry in the car. You could probably stick the thing in between the seats, in a seat pocket, etc. where it would be much harder to carry a small conventional extinguisher. I don’t think NHRA would approve, but hey, track day’s only once a week. Usually.

15. PutnamEco says:

Here is a nice little extinguisher. The Pinqy

16. Fred (a different one) says:

NOT

Many fires need to be fought at their base. The hose on a reasonably-sized extinguisher lets you have a chance. I agree that the extinguisher should be at or near the exit – even better if it can be on the other side of a fire-rated door.

17. Noel says:

i am currently selling some fire and safety products if any one is interested we have packages and we are running a special also. I have fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, first aid kits, car kits, fire ladders, flame out and we also carry tear gas(pepper spray)

18. I keep one handy during fireworks displays, because it’s a no-brainer to just squirt whatever the flaming bits landed on. The fact that it’ll hold its pressure after a partial discharge is nice, too, so there’s really no reason to hesitate before using it on little trash fires and stuff.

Being wet-chemical, of course it’s not appropriate for electrical fires, so the only time I keep the little spraycan around is when I know those aren’t a risk. Around the house, there are 3 sizable ABC dry-chemical units, plus one in the car. I think the wet spraycans are a nice addition to, but no substitute for, “real” fire extinguishers.

One of these days I’m gonna pick up a 20lb CO2 unit, because it’s a clean agent and, oh hey, it’s a cryogenic gas dispenser which comes in all kinds of handy! I figure the more use a tool gets, the more likely I am to know where it is when I need it.

19. You might want to check out http://www.powerpunch911.net.

These products seem almost identical, but there are big differences. The Power Punch 911 fits in a standard kitchen cabinet or car glove box, Tundra does not. Also, the cap of Tundra appears to be heat sealed. The Power Punch 911 is only a can top. Seems much easier to remove in a fire.

Power Punch 911 appears to have been tested on the same standards as Tundra. The ability to clean up after a small kitchen fire is a huge benefit.

These are never to replace a fire extinguisher, but to compliment the use of safety tools. You don’t call 911 if you have a small fire, but if you have a small grease fire, you want something that will handle the problem readily.

I think every house in America should have a Power Punch 911. I bought two for the family and feel much better.

20. I agree! Power Punch 911 saved my home! I was given a can of this product as a gift. I thought it was a gag gift, but I was told that in no way was this a joke. That is new product was the safest form of fire extinguishing out there and the easiest to use.

I was cooking breakfast for my kids when my daughter got hurt in the back room. While I was back attending to her, I had left oil “warming” on the stove. By the time I had remembered, the fire was so large that it had engulfed to top of my stove as had caught two of my pot holders I had hanging over my stove, on fire. This small can put out the fire quickly, about 2 seconds. There was no mess from the can, only from the fire.

There is still to this day plenty left in this can, and it still sits in my kitchen. I have since bought three more, one for the laundry area, one for the BBQ out back and one for the car. These can are even safe in the hottest of heat on the can because they are not chemically compressed which mean that they do not explode under the pressure of heat which make it safe to store in the car.

Thank you Power Punch 911 and thanks Sis for giving me that first can.

View how this product works at

21. seraph037 says:

NOT!!! I work with fire extinguishers everyday, and this is a joke. I dont care how safe you think it is, its not recognized by NFPA as an alternative to a fire extinguisher. You will not get away with having this in place of a real fire extinguisher in a situation wher you are required to have one eg: boat, office, whse…etc. My brother didnt believe me (even though I am licensed throught the Texas State Fire Marshall as a fire inspector)and he tried to get away with just having 2 of these on his boat. Coast Gaurd issued him a citation, and then on his way back to the boat launch, the Game Warden caught him and gave him a ticket as well, lol. Next time he will listen to me….. maybe.

22. Vivian says:

I would like to buy this product. Having accessed to many websites and be awarded it only can be purchased within the US. I live in Hong Kong, where can I find one?