hot-or-not4.jpg
studhorse.jpg

The Stud Horse, a steel and PVC sawhorse, looks bomb shelter sturdy. We’ve seen our share of new sawhorses and gimmicks that claim to help productivity in this area, but this one actually looks to be a good way to break down a horse and keep it handy at the same time.

The unit revolves around two steel “A” frame ends with a hole and locking pin at the top that holds the crossbar, a 2-1/2” piece of PVC conduit. The Stud Horse comes with a set of four frames that makes two sawhorses. The pair will run you around $100, so it’s not for the casual user.

What do you Toolmongers think? Is this a great way to get some sturdy jobsite work done, or a great way to separate Tool guys from their cash? Let us know in comments.

Stud Horse [The Ultimate Sawhorse]
Street Pricing [Google Products]

13 Responses to Hot or Not? Stud Horse Brand Sawhorse

1. MarkO says:

Looks great until you need to clamp something to it.

2. Fred says:

Neat idea but, they look too easy to make for someone to pay $100 for them.

3. I got a pair of the crawford folding steel horses from home depot a couple years ago for $20 or so a piece.

I can stand up on on, they fold to the size of a (heavy) 2×4) and are height adjustable and you can easily bolt a wood 2×4 or 6 on top if you want

4. PutnamEco says:

Not, maybe for painting, I like to know that I’m not going to kill a saw blade by running it into steel.
    I’ll stick with my Trojans, or whip up some on site.

5. MonsterDon says:

Not!

There are too many saw horses that do more and function better.

I have a pair of Stanley folding horses that have met my needs on all of my projects.

6. Eric says:

And I just don’t see where the PVC pipe is going to be sturdy enough. I have visions of the pipe shearing off right at the edge of the steel leg support. I’ll stick with the folding-type that the other folks here have mentioned.

7. t clark says:

i say weld up the ends yourself and replace the weak pvc with a section of pipe x number of feet long and use them to store wood on. we used something similar when i did demolition work in high school during the summer.

8. ken says:

It seems that you could go through a lot of pvc pipe if you are using the saw horses to cut on and you don’t have the skill saw adjusted just right. Also I would not want to put a plank across them and stand on the plank.BIG CRASH

9. Brian D says:

I’m with Eric here one of PVC’s defining structural traits is brittlness. I can’t see it standing up to some guy dropping a batch of 2×4’s off his shoulder onto this.

10. Hi guys. As owner of the Ultimate Saw Horse LLC., I would like thank Toolmonger for their review and to address some of your concerns about the Stud Horse sawhorses.

1. The unique rotational ability of the A frame design allows a stable working platform regardless of ground irregularities. No more “rocking horses”. The design also allows the A frames to slide along the tube for adjustable width.

2. Quick and easy disassembly with minimal storage space required. How many wooden saw horses does it take to fill up your pickup?

3. There are several easy solutions to protecting your saw blade from metal contact. Just place a 2×4 or 2×6 over the top of the tube and screw it to the PVC conduit with a couple of deck screws and you have a replaceable cutting and clamping board. Other customers have made snap on cutting boards using split PCV couplings which snap over the PVC tube.

4. The 2.5″ PVC schedule 80 conduit is totally different from PVC pipe. Water Pipe is designed to hold pressure from the inside while PVC conduit is designed to resist pressure from the out side. It is not at all brittle and is really tough stuff, particularly the schedule 80. It can also be easily replaced with a longer length if needed. If you have any doubts, please check out the loads we put on a set of Stud Horses used in our web site demo video.

5. While I am admittedly bias, I have yet to see anything on the market which has the strength, stability and ease of storage the Stud Horse offers. This is a professional grade tool which will be passed on from generation to generation. I hope this has answered some of your concerns. I would also like to offer a 20% rebate to any of the above people if they will post their opinions after actually using a set of Stud Horses.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond.
    Sincerely,
    Richard

11. Gary Roofner says:

Are you selling these saw horses Richard

12. Benny Dodson says:

Best set of saw horse ever had in forty plus years .hated those sprawled legged folding rocking horses .they store easy and stand straight .i use scaffolds and ladders to stand on so don’t get stated problems of standing on ,they want break

13. Benny says:

Where can buy these sawhorses